Port in use?

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
cparsons

Port in use?

Post by cparsons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am

I am using port 80 so installed on port 8080 and still got a 'port 80 is in use' message??

So I stopped the server running on port 80 and still get errors...

See attached

UA4WIY

Re: Port in use?

Post by UA4WIY » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:22 am

Unload skype, and run VRS first.

cparsons

Post by cparsons » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am

Didn't make any difference? I have actually now uninstalled Skype and that didn't work either...

Although I specify port 8080 I still get a message that a web server cannot be started on port 80

I have also seen the information on the front screen

"it will work with any receiver or SDR that can produce the Kinetic text message format, Kinetic's
SBS-3 binary format, the AVR "*", "@" or ":" formats or the Mode-S Beast binary format"

I have a NooElec NESDM Smart SDR - is this going to work?

(I am new to this!)

Chris

UA4WIY

Post by UA4WIY » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 am

Then see who takes up port 80.

Code: Select all

netstat -anob
for windows.

cparsons

Post by cparsons » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:42 am

Ok, thanks - I have it working now...

Chris

cparsons

Post by cparsons » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:47 am

To get this to work in Windows you have to run the executable as the Administrator
or get the 'port in use' message...and an exception error when you try and put the
web server online.

Still didn't get very far until after some research discovered that to get VRS working with
my NooElec SMArt SDR I also had to install a decoder to get the data from the radio
signal - I used a decoder called rtl1090 and after experimenting with the settings in
VRS did get some aircraft to appear yesterday...not at the moment though, but the
decoder window is not showing any traffic, which might be why? (no radio signal?)

Chris

agw

Post by agw » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. You do not need to run VRS in administrator mode. It's the web server that's trying to listen to port 80, you set that port number in the installer. Just run the installer (you do not need to uninstall first) and when it asks if you want to listen to port 80 (the default) change it to 8080 or whatever.

The port number in the UPnP options is not the port number that the server is listening to. It's the port number to show in the public IP address display and the public port number that will be used if you use UPnP to configure the router. It has no effect on the web server component in VRS.

cparsons

Post by cparsons » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Reinstalled it again and specified port 8080

Ran the link from the Windows start button

Got a message 'Cannot start the web server on port 80' (not 8080!)

When the program loads after clicking 'Ok' on the error message the web server is offline and I get an exception dialog when I put it online

If I run the link as Administrator I get no error messages

When the program loads the web server is online...

Chris