SSL for VRS web server

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
PenicuikWeather

SSL for VRS web server

Postby PenicuikWeather » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Guys

I use VRS output within an iframe on my website, which I want to move to SSL.

Can I apply a cert to the VRS web server?

Thanks in advance.

David

agw

Re: SSL for VRS web server

Postby agw » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm afraid not. HttpListener, which is what VRS is using, does support SSL but VRS only sets up bindings to http://, not https://.

I'll add an item to the list to take a closer look at adding SSL support.

PenicuikWeather

Postby PenicuikWeather » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:58 am

Hi

That would be excellent if you could - I want my whole site to be SSL which when some components and pages are not, causes hassle.

THANKS

David

Dutchradar

Postby Dutchradar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:53 pm

its now 2017, i want to know if it's possible to use HTTPS instead of HTTP.

Kindregards,
Michel Rakhorst
Dutchradar.nl

Aardvark

Postby Aardvark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

This has actually become something of a critical issue now. I am no longer able to use the "Use GPS location" option in many cases. iOS 10 and the Chrome browser now restrict location services to https:// connections only. Firefox DOES still allow location sharing with non-secure connections so I use that browser on my Windows laptop. Desktop systems I manually set the location since they do not move locations.

Going forward this will become more of an issue and is certainly an issue on iOS devices. Personally I think it should be an optional setting on iOS as you are basically forced to purchase an SSL certificate. But that is neither here nor there since I do not work for Apple. There are free options for certficates but support for them has been lacking on various platforms. I was using StartSSL for a while but they have been blacklisted and no longer work with iOS or other browsers. A real pain.

agw

Postby agw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 am

I'm currently in the middle of rewriting part of the server component of VRS to make it OWIN compliant. As a part of that I plan on opening up the bindings that the site uses. The next preview will include the OWIN compliance work, but it's still a ways off.

I had noticed the geolocation messages coming out of Chrome. I think for many users it's basically going to mean the end of auto-location for the mobile page. Getting VRS to accept SSL connections is trivial from a programming perspective but acquiring and installing the SSL certificate that HTTP.SYS needs to see in order for it to work, and then renewing it every time it expires, is going to be a challenge for a lot of people.

Return to “Installation Problems”