View your VRS through internet

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
orion_jb2001

View your VRS through internet

Post by orion_jb2001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:33 am

Can anyone help out here? Email unanswered through VRS contact or am I wasting my time.

Nevermind

Re: View your VRS through internet

Post by Nevermind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:55 am

Sorry, but what's the Question?

orion_jb2001

Post by orion_jb2001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 am

First question

Hi,

another newbie question, when I click on show internet address from the Virtual radar server window, it takes me to internet window which asks for a password. What ID and password is used here??

Jeff :)

Gist of email was what address is put in your SDM Public URL of site. I followed the instructions in how you add your site to the directory, copy directory details, got API and pasted as per instructions. Number 6 instruction a bit vague, re what web address to add.

Jeff

orion_jb2001

Post by orion_jb2001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:23 am

I tried a cut a paste of the internet address given from the VRS window show internet address, Desktop version, into that URL line, but did not work. The SDM shows this outcome error: Could not fetch site details: Unable to connect to the remote server

Jeff

Nevermind

Post by Nevermind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:58 pm

Regarding ID and password:
The settings can be found under: Tools/Options/Users respectively Administrators

For the VRS-Directory you need a web address that points to your VRS. Or enter the IP, but only if it is permanent!
orion_jb2001 wrote:I tried a cut a paste of the internet address given from the VRS window show internet address, Desktop version, into that URL line, but did not work. The SDM shows this outcome error: Could not fetch site details: Unable to connect to the remote server

Jeff
Perhaps a firewall?

orion_jb2001

Post by orion_jb2001 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi,
No luck. Don't think it is a firewall problem as the VRS is running fine on the PC and my firewall has been set to accept all VRS data. What is very disappointing in all this is there has been absolutely no response from anyone at VRS, I can't even seem to find a contact link in this site anymore. :(

orion_jb2001

Post by orion_jb2001 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Good afternoon :) Getting the server onto the Internet can be a bit fiddly.

The problem is that there are two port numbers and two addresses involved. It is easy to get confused between them.

The first address and port number is that of your router. Its address is the IP address that your Internet Service Provider has assigned to you. You can see this address on the VRS main screen when you select "Show Internet Address" in the bottom-left corner. The router port number will be the port that the router will listen to, the port it will forward traffic from to Virtual Radar Server. You choose this port number. It does not have to be the same as the port that Virtual Radar Server is listening to, it can either be 80 or anything between 1024 and 65535. If you don't already have port forwarding set up for port 80 on your router then 80 would be the easiest one to use. For the sake of the example, lets say you decide to use port 80.

The second address and port number is that of the computer running Virtual Radar Server. The address is its local IP address, it will probably start with 10. or 192.168. You can see this address on the VRS main screen when you select "Show network address" in the bottom-left corner. The port number is the port you chose when you installed Virtual Radar Server, in your case it sounds like you chose 8080. For the sake of the example lets say your computer's local network address is 192.168.1.2.

The port forwarding has to forward traffic from the external port on the router (80) to the IP address of the computer running VRS (192.168.1.2) and the port that VRS is listening to (port 8080). You only need to forward TCP traffic.

If your router supports Universal Plug & Play (UPnP) and the feature has been switched on at the router then you do not have to manually set up any port forwarding. VRS can do it for you. To use this feature you need to:

1) Go into Tools | Options | Web Server
2) Tick the box for "Enable use of UPnP to put server onto Internet"
3) Enter the port number you want the router to forward traffic from - in the example above it's port 80 - into the "Internet Port Number" field.
4) Click "OK".
5) Click the "Put onto Internet" button on the main screen.

If VRS cannot find a UPnP router on the network, or if your version of Windows doesn't support UPnP (Windows Server 2003 doesn't), then it will tell you so on the main screen. Otherwise if it manages to successfully add the port mapping to the router then it should say so in the status next to the "Put onto Internet" button.

You can find out the public IP address of the server by selecting "Show Internet address" in the bottom-left corner of the main screen.

Hope this helps!

Andrew]
I found this old post re setting up for internet viewing. VRS has changed since then, so can someone look at it and decipher to the current set up. I can't look at my set up presently to see what is different from the instructions above but notable thing is I don't think there is a "put onto internet button" any more.

Jeff