PiAware into VRS

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
Liam_89

PiAware into VRS

Post by Liam_89 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

Hello,
I am up and running at home with a raspberry pi with piaware installed and feeding to flightaware and 360radar with no problems,
At home i can add my raspberry pi feed into my VRS and view it on there rather than dump1090 which is all fine,
My question is, i have just set up another raspberry pi with piaware at my amateur radio club,
this is receiving and feeding to flightaware perfectly fine,
I would like to know how i can get the feed from the rasperry pi's piaware at my radio club and add it to my VRS at home so that i can switch between them,
I have tried pretty much everything and i still cant get it to work,
ive added the raspberry pi / piaware ip address from the radio club to my VRS at home and the port numbers but it keeps saying a connection could not be made,
Has anybody got any ideas on how i could fix this and get the feed from the radio club to work in my VRS at home ?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

agw

Re: PiAware into VRS

Post by agw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 am

ive added the raspberry pi / piaware ip ... t be made,

I'm guessing that you were probably adding the private network address of the Pi at the radio club rather than its public IP address? Did the address begin with 192.168., or with 10., or with 172.<low number>? If so then that's not a public IP address. You will have to start by configuring the router on one side of the connection to accept incoming packets from the Internet and forward them on to the computer that's running VRS.

There's been a few threads over the years about port forwarding, this one looks like it should cover the basics for your situation:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=707&p=3609&hilit=po ... ding#p3609