Initial setup

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
leviticus49

Initial setup

Post by leviticus49 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Can anyone 'walk me through' the setting up of the program Please? Don't class myself as a dumpling but it's beyond me at the moment.

Datamix

Re: Initial setup

Post by Datamix » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 am

Can you provide more information about your setup?
vrs: 31-MAR-2018

ACW342

Post by ACW342 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:19 pm

This is the perfect place for me to leap in screaming for help. Like leviticus49 I don't classify my self as a dumpling or, in britspeak a thicko but I have been left struggling as if wading in a real tarball. I'm new to this ADS-B lark and am finding it not only interesting but also educational. I decided recently that, rather than just look at FR24, or if interested in military, 360Radar, I would get a SDR dongle (the Jet Vision one).

I got all the download instructions from the gentleman at 360radar, Phil, and got the system up and running on a RaspPi I had in my "box of things" and located it in my shed, with a spare apple keyboard and an old monitor connected. It is connected to my network via a PowerLine adaptor. Long story short, I have built three different antennae and would like to see the output of each on screen to check their responsiveness. I have downloaded sbsplotter1 from Güenter Köllner at jetvision.de and with which I had no problem running on a Dell mini10V via Win XP.

I was advised by 360Radar to try VRS so I looked at the website and it looks like I could run it on my iMac sooo.. I downloaded a thing called a mono tarball and now have a folder called Virtual Radar 1 and haven't the foggiest as to why to do next: Run the installer what installer? the only thing in there that you can try is an exe file that when you double click on it opens up a clone asking to be extracted so I do, and what do I get? Folder Virtual Radar 2. Moving on, "Run The Server" Yeah, ok, server ? So I need help, being a newbie in Linux, and a total klutz in the environment of SDR. Once upon a time though I'd give you good run for your Money on Windows 3.1.1 r Amiga OS. I await your replies and welcome fun, but not flaming, that's not very nice :lol:

agw

Post by agw » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 am

The installer is only available on Windows - under Linux you need to unpack the archive manually. Do you have your heart set on running it on the Mac? You could just install it on your Dell as long as it's running XP SP2 or better.

Otherwise the steps to get it running on the Mac are:

1. Install Mono - the installer for it is here: http://www.mono-project.com/download/st ... wnload-mac
2. Download and unpack the tarballs from the VRS site - sounds like you've already done that.

You'll want to download the server tarball (http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Download.aspx#body) and the web admin plugin tarball (http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Dow ... -web-admin). Unpack them both into the same folder - if things have been unpacked correctly you should see an executable called VirtualRadar.exe plus a bunch of files and folders. One of the folders will be called Plugins, under that you should have a folder called WebAdmin.

Next you need to create an admin user. Type this from the command-line, substituting username and password with something more appropriate:

Code: Select all

mono VirtualRadar.exe -nogui -createAdmin:username -password:password
Note that there are no spaces after the colons in -createAdmin and -password. So for example, -createAdmin:andrew -password:whatever#1 would create an admin user called andrew with the password whatever#1.

I can't remember if the server will start up or whether it'll quit after it's created the user. Once you have the user created you would normally start it with this command:

Code: Select all

mono VirtualRadar.exe -nogui
If you miss out the -nogui flag then it probably won't work unless you have an X-Windows server installed. Mono uses X-Windows for its implementation of Microsoft's WinForms framework and Apple stopped shipping X-Windows on OSX years ago. You can install open-source X-Windows servers if you want to give it a try but Mono's WinForms implementation isn't great at the best of times, I think you'll find life easier with the web admin plugin.

To configure the server open a web browser on the mac and point it at http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualRadar/WebAdmin/Index.html. Enter the username and password you created above and then go to Options and add a receiver.