mobile device version?

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
blave

mobile device version?

Post by blave » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:35 pm

The documentation says that there is a mobile device-friendly web page generated by the server at VirtualRadar/iPhone.html, but I cannot see this on my iPad (nor can I see the regular VirtualRadar/GoogleMap.htm# on it - it times out with "server stopped responding"). Is there something that has to be configured on the server to serve the mobile page? I cannot find any switch or whatever to control it.

Thanks,

Dave B.

agw

Re: mobile device version?

Post by agw » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:26 pm

There's no switch to control it, if you can see the web server then the page is available. When you installed VRS did you tick the option to open up the port on the firewall so that other computers could reach the server? If not then you can just re-run the installer (there's no need to uninstall first) and when you reach the screen that asks "Configure Windows Firewall so other computers on your network can access Virtual Radar Server" just tick the box.

If you're using a 3rd party firewall then you'll need to configure it to let traffic through for the port that you've told VRS to listen on.

blave

Post by blave » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:30 pm

agw wrote:There's no switch to control it, if you can see the web server then the page is available. When you installed VRS did you tick the option to open up the port on the firewall so that other computers could reach the server? If not then you can just re-run the installer (there's no need to uninstall first) and when you reach the screen that asks "Configure Windows Firewall so other computers on your network can access Virtual Radar Server" just tick the box.

If you're using a 3rd party firewall then you'll need to configure it to let traffic through for the port that you've told VRS to listen on.
I have a port opened (obfuscated WAN-side port # that is redirected to port 80 on my VRS hosting machine) on my firewall. I can see it fine across the web on my laptop, but I can't see either the regular or mobile version from my iPad (that's connected to the same LAN at work). Even "locally" on the VRS host machine, I cannot see anything at the local 192.168.1.xxx/virtualradar/iphone.html although 192.168.1.xxx/virtualradar/googlemap.htm# works fine.

BTW I'm assuming you know this, but for those that don't, UPnP (which the "Configure Windows Firewall' function depends on) is a terrible security risk for a router. No-one in their right mind should have it enabled, IMO. It's not that hard to manually punch a hole in the firewall for this sort of thing.

cheers,

Dave.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I think the address is iPhoneMap.htm or iPhoneMap.html, not iPhone.html - on the main screen in VRS if you choose "Mobile Version" from the dropdown in the middle of the screen (where it says "Default Version") then the full address is shown to the right of the dropdown.

Without getting into religious arguments about the pros and cons of UPnP, the Configure Windows Firewall bit in the installer doesn't depend on it. It just adds a rule to the Windows firewall to allow traffic through on the port that VRS is going to listen to. The installer doesn't attempt to do anything with UPnP, and adding a rule to the Windows Firewall does not cause Windows to open the port on the router via UPnP. VRS supports the use of UPnP to configure port forwarding on the router but that's an entirely separate procedure and is configured from within the application, not the installer.

blave

Post by blave » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm

agw,

thanks -- you are correct about the address. I didn't see that option (default/etc.) on the VRS applet before... I was trying to use the address that is shown in the help content.

re: UPnP --I stand corrected about how it works w.r.t. Windows Firewall vs. router. Thanks again!

cheers,

Dave.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 am

I didn't realise the documentation was showing the wrong address - I'll correct it on the next update of the site, thanks :)