td

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
K9ACT

td

Post by K9ACT » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm

I have been running RTL1090 with ADSBscope and feeding data to Flightrader24 and it all works.

I wanted to try VRS but I can't seem to get it running and displaying anything. I suspect it's a port conflict but it says a connection can be made with several combinations and data is being received but no aircraft is recognized.

Before I go to a lot of trouble getting it to run, I am have a problem understand just what this program does and why I should bother.

My main problem with ADBScope is the poor quality of the background pics and maps. VRS seems to offer more options.

But am I correct in understanding that the only way I can display aircraft positions is by using the on line web site?

Why would I want that if I can do it all in my computer with other programs?

Thanks,

js

agw

Re: td

Post by agw » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm

K9ACT wrote:but it says a connection can be made with several combinations and data is being received but no aircraft is recognized.
If it's saying that it's connecting to the data feed but the aircraft tracked count remains at 0 then I would suspect that the format of the feed is wrong. By default it's expecting Kinetic's BaseStation port 30003 format - you might need to change it to Beast/AVR in Tools | Options if that's what's on the feed.
K9ACT wrote:But am I correct in understanding that the only way I can display aircraft positions is by using the on line web site?
Yes - although by "online" it's really "over the network". It can be over the Internet as well, but it doesn't have to be.
K9ACT wrote:Why would I want that if I can do it all in my computer with other programs?
I don't know :) If you only have the one computer and other programs already do the business for you then there's no particular reason for using VRS. I wrote it because I have a few computers, and a few operating systems, and I wanted to be able to see where the aircraft were from any of them. I don't know how common that requirement is.