Flight Simulator X not connecting

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
richstevenson

Flight Simulator X not connecting

Post by richstevenson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Just recently installed VFR and was interested in the FSX feature. I've purchased FSX through Steam, and it's up and running on the same PC as VRS.
When I click File | Flight Simulator X Flight Mode, the Status shows, "Flight Simulator X is not installed (cannot load SimConnect)
I've tried installing SimConnect.msi from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-XPACK, but that didn't help.
Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Edit: I also tried installing the SimConnect in the FSX-RTM & FSX-SP1 directories. With either of those I can now click the Connect to Flight Simulator X button but the status goes to, "Disconnected... could not connect - Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

Thanks

agw

Re: Flight Simulator X not connecting

Post by agw » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 am

I have a feeling that the simconnect that ships with the Steam version is different to the one that ships with FSX, and I used the latter.

I uploaded the VRS version of simconnect for someone else ages ago - you could give it a go and see if it does the trick? The address is:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Fil ... tSetup.exe

OK, I just ran the installer - it looks like it's installing the interop library for different versions of simconnect into the VRS folder. The interop library is the bit that I use to talk to whichever version of simconnect you've got installed. It gives you two versions to choose from - the RTM version or the one I built against. The latter obviously is no good for you, I would try the RTM version and then install the simconnect that you found in the FSX-RTM directory.

If that works then I should probably bring that installer up to date (add the Steam version and sign the installer) and publicise it somewhere on the web site.