Data to correct: wrong info displayed

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
agw

Re: Data to correct: wrong info displayed

Post by agw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:49 pm

For some reason the forum has decided not to send me any notifications from the Installation Problems forum, I think my subscription to it has died somewhere :)

I think classifying government aircraft as military isn't entirely clear-cut, it probably depends on the country. If the aircraft is operated by the government and not by a branch of the armed forces - i.e. its pilots are civil servants - then I'd say it was a civil aircraft. Perhaps there should be a broader range of classifications instead of the existing "is military / is civilian" to cover grey areas like government aircraft, police aircraft and so on.

If you send me the registrations of the French SR-22s I'll add them as military over the weekend.

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:53 pm

I agree! But it was just to see them easier, because to find them in the hundreds of commercial flights, it's only by chance!

I'll give you the Cirrus reg by PM within the next 48h, i am not on my own computer.

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:54 pm

1)Dubai air force Gulfstream 3 reg A6-HHH shown as civil
Icao 896023

http://www.airframes.org/fleet/dub

2) could you change the icao 003329 as military? It has the USAF callsign MAGMA40

Look at the bottom http://virad.openskymap.net/VM412/DateR ... gn=MAGMA40

It's a wrong icao of course but then we can follow him

Same for icao AC8997 which is the USAF Do328 reg 11-3104.

3) icao 33FE9D is shown as civil but is in fact a military P180 (italian coast guards) reg MM62274

Thank you very much!

IntensiVuS

Post by IntensiVuS » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am

Hello,
Since almost two weeks im using VRS with a lot of pleasure.
Im in the Netherlands and im receiving 2 military aircraft that are not flagged as such. This is probably because the aircraft send out the wrong ICAO code. After some research i discovered it are always the same planes using this code. Are you able to set those two ICAO codes to be flagged as military?

it's the following codes used: with the appropriate planes behind them

00FFFF -> J-055 SABCA F-16AM Fighting Falcon
00FFF7 -> J-005 SABCA F-16AM Fighting Falcon

Thank you in advance

IntenSiVuS

agw

Post by agw » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm a bit torn on adding miscoded ICAOs to the database - the problem is that these records are going to be on everyone's VRS installation. Miscoded ICAOs are by their nature prone to duplication, the 00FFFF ICAO could be (wrongly) transmitted by an F-16 in the Netherlands and by a civil aircraft in Australia, I'll be getting ping-pong requests to make them military and then to take the military flag off them. Also at some point they're going to enter the right codes into the transponders of these two aircraft and if their real ICAOs are in a block that's marked as military, which they probably will be, then no-one's going to notice that they've been fixed and I'll end up with two duff records that are correcting a mistake that's no longer being made but will probably be wrong for the next aircraft that mistakenly uses those ICAOs.

My thinking is that we need local overrides for the code blocks - not only to deal with the question of whether a miscoded ICAO should be allowed into the database (I don't think it should) but also to cope with differences of opinion over whether the operators of an aircraft are military or civil. I'll try to get it into the next release but timescales are a bit tight on that so it might have to wait until the release after, depending on how fancy I make it :)

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 am

I agree with your analysis about the wrong icao codes. Usually the callsign is enough to see if it's a military, but for me the main issue (as i said before) is that these aircrafts are hidden in the civil trafic and unfortunately, if you aren't looking exactly when they are on the screen (in ''live'') you can easily miss them. So i don't know what would have to be done with these icao codes, not shown as military i agree but maybe in an other category to see them easily and quickly? I don't know if it's possible, just asking!

Thanks for all ;)

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 pm

New correction to make (maybe?), the icao 344141, which is "Spain", is in fact the Airbus Military A330-202 MRTT reg 2403 of the Royal Saudi Air Force (RSF) since the 2013-01-23. Previously it was the test reg EC-330.

All info is displayed on airframes.org (type icao: 344141).

Maybe it would be useful to make all Airbus Military ICAOs to "Military", what do you think about it? It will be anyway military, and as we can see for this one, the icao is still the same after delivery to the Saudi Air Force... but as you said before, changing suspected "wrong icao" could be an issue too...

agw

Post by agw » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 am

I'm not comfortable with adding miscoded ICAOs - at some point they'll put in the Saudi ICAO and I'll have a dud record in the database. I'll add local overrides for the codeblocks to the next version of VRS, once that's out you can add them to your heart's content :)

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:06 am

Local overrides? That sounds GREAT :)

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Looking forward to the coming 'Local override' feature, however in the meantime, could you please correct the following, which is currently incorrectly shown as 'non-military':

03C0C9 ZA472 Royal Air Force TOR Tornado-GR.4 Landplane United Kingdom Mil

Also, although operated under a civilian registration by Air Tanker Ltd., this Airbus A330 is in Royal Air Force military colours and flown under contract to the RAF for transport and in-flight re-fueling; so should (IMHO) be classified as military:

406830 G-VYGG Royal Air Force A332 A330-243MRTT Landplane United Kingdom Mil

Many thanks for all your work on VRS, it's greatly appreciated :D
Terry