Missing Flight code for small aircraft

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
daveb

Missing Flight code for small aircraft

Post by daveb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi - great program - however with my set up - USB TV Tuner / RTL1090 VRS does not appear to get the flight code.
The RTL1090 display shows the flight code but it does seem to get to VRS. Also for some aircraft the flights dont appear to being logged in the basestation database.

The aircraft affected are the usual Flybe, FCM 190s, Eurowings CRJs, Sun Air Do328Js

Any info / thoughts on this gratefully received

Dave

bigrossco

Re: Missing Flight code for small aircraft

Post by bigrossco » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:09 pm

haveyou tried this re your missing flight codes? as this should fix the issue

daveb

Post by daveb » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi tried the solution that you got for the same problem and seem to be getting flight codes for the small stuff

Ta

Dave

hatter1951

Post by hatter1951 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:10 pm

As there are now a far greater number of aircraft reporting I am concerned that my VR map display still shows only the airliners :A320/B73x/ etc, and not the Dash8 ; King Airs; Pilatus that display on the likes of FR24. I use VR in preference to said FR24. Should these smaller aircraft now appear on VR, and if so, what am i doing wrong please?

Many thanks

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi

You are doing nothing wrong!

The vast majority of smaller aircraft are not fitted with the kit to broadcast their position. In time they will have to be upgraded however authorities world-wide have given these aircraft time to convert. There are different time-scales for each part of the world. In Europe the vast majority of medium jets and above have been equipped. In North America, this is just beginning to happen. I cannot say for the rest of the world.

At some point in the future, VRS will be able to offer a form of multilateration (MLAT), which in simple terms is using triangulation of receivers to pinpoint where an aircraft is. It is a lot more complex than that however! Some progress has been made on the concept but no progress as yet on the implementation or integration. Even when MLAT is available, it will need multiple feeds from nearby receivers. You maybe able to run your own server or join with a larger group of people like in the system I host, VRS World.

FR24 has developed a MLAT system. Others are working on it. For the amateur, currently the only software that offers MLAT is Planeplotter. Planeplotter is a good bit of software that you can trial for a month prior to buying. It does do a different job to VRS and so can be considered a companion program. The trial does a offer a limited try before you buy opportunity. To get the full benefit you will need to buy and feed into the Planeplotter server.

I hope this helps.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

hatter1951

Post by hatter1951 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Many thanks for taking time for a very interesting reply.