Using ADLite with VRS

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
jonfear

Re: Using ADLite with VRS

Post by jonfear » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi

I have just installed AD Lite on my backup system using all my live data files.

First AD Lite did not come on-line. One thing I did note; this is the AD Lite beta which was released in 2011. I has never been upgraded. The Full version is at a much higher revision.

AD Lite does seem to write 1 record at a time, but that is all. I suspect therefore that AD Lite has the BS running restriction in it that AD Pro does not.

I then installed BS and have received the same .net error. This seems to relate to a TCP socket required by AD Lite, so I suspect that this beta version will never work as this may have been a bug that was fixed in the pro version. My guess is that it looks at the USB socket and if it does not see SBS data on it, it looks for SBS data on the TCP stack on port 10001 which is what an SBS unit would output. At that point it does not see the data and gets confused and dies.

Sorry but I think the only way for this to work is to buy the pro version. I have my 2 licenced copies and they work fine....

Hope this helps

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

andrew

Post by andrew » Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 am

mezoo wrote:
- Pressing the Start button in ADLite gets aircraft data but it ends with a error (something about string to integer conversion)
- If I press continue ADlite does nothing.
- If I repress the green start button ADLite gets another batch of data but ends in the same error message

Hi!
I have exactly the same error. I've tried everything: change decoder (i use RTL1090 v.153), change database, start with an empty database, reinstall .Net framework etc.
We really need a shared service supported by VRS members to populate database...

trigger

Post by trigger » Thu May 01, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Jon,
Thanks for your input. The odd thing is that it will run for a while before falling over. I guess it might be a bum adsb message which is not quite the correct format and it doesn't get trapped. Looks like I'll have to splash some cash!

Hi Andrew,
Like Jon said, it looks like a bug in the free version.

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Thu May 01, 2014 12:44 pm

andrew wrote:We really need a shared service supported by VRS members to populate database...
I am not sure that with the GAS database being available, that is a good idea. The maintence of the VRS database would require a team of people inputting new data daily, whether supplied by users or gained from various other sources. GAS has a huge following, we have not yet reached that critical mass.

Remember, We still have a huge number of routes missing from the routes database, with many more incorrect. There appears to be very few of us actually making time for this. This is going to be the problem when updating the basestation.sqb file. Who will commit the time...?

Yes, it is a pain having to pay for the GAS database, but it does provide good timely data. GAS do have some issues to resolve but these will be sorted in due course, I have no doubt about that. I for one do not mind paying UKP25.00 per year for what I get, I am really giving it a good workout!

I feel sure that AGW will have an opinion on this and as they say "He is the boss"! :D

Cheers

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP

mezoo

Post by mezoo » Fri May 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks Jon for your thoughts and test.

In the meantime I tried to get this software 'trick' to work
http://sonicgoose.com/basestation-and-rtl1090/
http://f5ann.pagesperso-orange.fr/Dongl ... index.html

The idea is to feed the adsb data from the receiver into the basestation.exe program.
This seems to require converting the binary TCP feed to a serial feed and then back to serial TCP feed.
At least that's how I understand it.

My hope was that I could then connect ADlite directly to the basestation.exe program.
Particularly as I need to have basestation.exe to be running in any case.

Unfortunately one of the programs tries to installs a unsigned driver.
My Win 7 will not excecute these and I am hesitant to allow this.

Has anybody tried this approach ?
Is there a program alternative which does not require these drivers

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Fri May 02, 2014 8:10 pm

All

I have tried the same route as Mezoo but got to the same point as before.

I am now more than satisfied that this is more to do with the program than anything else. Remember AD Lite is several revisions lower that AD Pro, almost certainly for very good reasons.

I can now only recommend using AD Pro. I have used it for well over 18 months now and works fine, both on XP and Windows 7. I cannot comment on Windows 8, I will not allow it in the house!

Jon

agw

Post by agw » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 am

I'll install ADLite before the next release and see what's required, or whether it's possible, to get it and VRS to play nicely together.

Regarding an online database - it would be nice. The problem with GAS, ADLite etc. is that it's all Windows-only, if you're on a Mac or Linux then you're out in the cold. On top of that the whole situation with having to have a local database up and running before you can see registrations or flags is painful, it's easily the biggest sticking point for new users. There are plans afoot regarding online Mode-S code lookups but I can't go into detail at the moment as they involve other people.

andrew

Post by andrew » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

agw wrote:I'll install ADLite before the next release and see what's required, or whether it's possible, to get it and VRS to play nicely together.
Thank you! But i suspect (like others in this thread) that the error is trigged by RTL1090. I get the same error with VRS not running.
Maybe its basestation format isn't fully compatible: see its manual.

agw wrote:Regarding an online database - it would be nice. The problem with GAS, ADLite etc. is that it's all Windows-only, if you're on a Mac or Linux then you're out in the cold. On top of that the whole situation with having to have a local database up and running before you can see registrations or flags is painful, it's easily the biggest sticking point for new users. There are plans afoot regarding online Mode-S code lookups but I can't go into detail at the moment as they involve other people.
I think this is the best (but most difficult) solution! Hope to see it impemented in VRS.
PS: You are refering to this? https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dump109 ... odCy4loAkJ

mezoo

Post by mezoo » Thu May 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I have found a way of getting ADLite to work.
It can be done with sergsero's modemixer programme
This little programme can do many things, but it can also translate data from a receiver into a format that the Basestation programme can understand.
Once Basestation is running ADLite works as it should.

You can find the modemixer programme and a description of how to set it up here
http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/index ... 616.0.html
and
http://radarspotting.com/forum/index.ph ... 921.0.html

The description is for hardware receivers - that is how I am using it at the moment.
But switching to a VRS rebroadcast server should be possible.
I will try that when I have some more time

Cix

Post by Cix » Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am

Works for me to get Basestation going, which is pretty good.

Then tried to connect it to ADLite but I get some sort of integer error. Probably something wrong with my reciever settings, however I do see it connecting to that program, but instantly disconnects, must be the wrong format I guess.

Any clue?