Using ADLite with VRS

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
mezoo

Re: Using ADLite with VRS

Post by mezoo » Fri May 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Are you sure that ADLite is connecting to the Basestation.exe and that Basestation is working?

I had that integer error when I when I tried to get VRS to connect to ADLite with Basestation just 'being there' but not running.
(see my first post)

I'd check the modemixer commandline to see if anything is missing.

I use the xp version so my command is
modemixer2_xp.exe --inConnect 192.1xx.1yy.zz:Port- --outserver sbs10001:10001

Basestation is set to listen at 127.0.0.1:10001

Cix

Post by Cix » Sat May 17, 2014 12:50 pm

ah, I see what I did wrong, I also took an Outserver in the command line, which was the error as it was not even nessecarry,

Thanks!

mezoo

Post by mezoo » Sat May 24, 2014 9:55 pm

After a few trials I now got modesmixer to work with VRS.

In VRS set up a rebroadcast server
Set "Receiver" to to your hardware receiver or a merged feed
Set "Format" to "Basestation"
Define a "TCP port" e.g. 33001

In modesmixer the commandline is
modesmixer.exe --inconnect 192.xxx.yyy.zz:33001- -- outserver sbs10001:10001

(where 192.xxx.yyy.zz is the IP numberof your PC.
If you don't know your IP - select "Show network address" - on the Virtual Radar main screen
VRS normally shows "Show local address", select other options with the small arrow to the right)

If you get a connect error from modesmixer check your firewall or router that they are not blocking the port used e.g. 33001.
(My router was blocking the port - everything else worked immediately)

Good Luck
mezoo

IntensiVuS

Post by IntensiVuS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 am

man i wish i found this thread earlier.

I've been fighting with ADlite for countless hours to get it to work without the infamous integer error but with no luck.

the modesmixer2 application was the key to get it working.

ADLite is VERY picky on the format of the data it receives. One would think that getting a basestation format feed would be enough to get ADLite going. In fact it is, but only for a very short time before it pops up with the String "" to integer error.

The only way it works is to let the basestation.exe program receive the data from vrs, rtl1090, dump1090 or whatever "basestation feed creator" you use. This doesnt work with just serving a basestation format feed to the basestation application. Now the modesmixer2 program comes in. It converts the basestation feed data (from VRS, rtl1090, dump1090 etc) to the format the basesstation.exe program can receive. When the basesstation.exe program shows the planes, connect ADlite to the port basestation.exe sends out (which is 30003 default) and hit the play/run button. woohoo, planes get listed and updated without errors.

To me it seems the basestation.exe program does something to the data that ADLite really needs. Probably converting empty numeric data (interpreted as an empty string ""by ADLite) to a 0 so ADLite doesnt get fucked up.

@agw, any chance in verifying that?

agw

Post by agw » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I keep meaning to install ADLite and see what's going on, and keep forgetting :) I've added a note to the tracker to remind me, I'll take a look into it.

IntensiVuS

Post by IntensiVuS » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:22 pm

another thing i noticed last weekend, is that ADLite really doesnt like my DB. its either because its on the network or because its big (270MB-ish). Need to find that out, but i suspect its the size being the problem

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi

Admittedly I am using AD Pro but the basestation.sqb on VRS World is about 1.5GB and works fine....

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.