Feeding Planeplotter from VRS

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
eastons

Feeding Planeplotter from VRS

Postby eastons » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to use a merged rebroadcast feed from VRS to feed PlanePlotter (so that I can upload to FlightAware). The closest I've come to success is to use the BaseStation format; however, if I use this, the planes keep appearing and disappearing in PlanePlotter. I've tried AVR also, but I can't get it to work at all. If anyone could provide me with the settings in both VRS and PlanePlotter to get this working, I would appreciate it greatly =).

agw

Re: Feeding Planeplotter from VRS

Postby agw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:34 am

Okey dokey, this is how I set it up for BaseStation:

1. In VRS I set up a rebroadcast server for BaseStation format on port 33003. The VRS machine is on the same machine as PP.
2. In PP under Options | I/O Settings I ticked Mode-S / ADSB-B and selected SBS1/RBv3 TCP.
3. In PP under Options | Mode-S Receiver | Kinetic SBS family | SBS1-BS IP address I entered the full address of the rebroadcast server, 127.0.0.1:33003

When it connects the aircraft are pretty stable, I don't get any appearing and then disappearing as far as I can tell. However I am running the bleeding edge build of VRS which fixes a bug in BaseStation output. In 2.0.2 the times on the messages are at UTC, they should really be the local time. If PP was rejecting messages that are more than a few seconds older than the current local time then the bug would cause a problem - however I would expect it to reject all messages, not just some of them.

If you don't have any joy with those settings and you're feeling adventurous then you can give the bleeding edge a try :) The instructions for compiling it are here: http://vrs.codeplex.com/documentation. If you do build it then you'll notice that the rebroadcast servers have a bunch of new options for pushing a feed to another instance of VRS - that stuff is all working but the flip side, configuring a receiver to listen for a feed from a push rebroadcast server, isn't there yet. Well, it is, but there's no GUI to configure it. That'll be coming soon.

eastons

Postby eastons » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:14 am

Thanks for the detailed response, agw :). I already had it set up with those settings and the flights were disappearing. However, given your note about the time zones, I've changed my computer's clock to UTC as an interim solution (until the new version of VRS comes out) and the disappearing problem seems to have resolved itself, so that indeed seems to be the problem. Thanks again for the help =).

trigger

Postby trigger » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:28 pm

I'm currently feeding FR24 with a rebroadcast server on port 33003. I don't have Plane Plotter installed but would like to feed Flightaware. My version of VRS is 2.1.0.4281
Windows 7 laptop.
Is this possible?

agw

Postby agw » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 am

At the moment there's no dedicated feed to Flightaware from VRS. However, they sent me some documentation on their feed format a little while back and I will be building it into VRS at some point. From what I understand they have a standalone feed program, you could give that a try.

g_r

Postby g_r » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:22 am

agw wrote:At the moment there's no dedicated feed to Flightaware from VRS. However, they sent me some documentation on their feed format a little while back and I will be building it into VRS at some point. From what I understand they have a standalone feed program, you could give that a try.

They do have a standalone program for RPis right now, but not for Windows. I'm feeding via PlanePlotter, (and feeding FR24 and PlaneFinder via VRS), but an all-in-one solution eliminating PlanePlotter would be even better! Thanks for all you do.

loww

Postby loww » Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi
I think this is the newest PP Tread.
What is the best way to feed the VRS Data into PP? I have an huge amount of AC at the Moment 2000 -> 3000 AC! :D
(Hopefully I found more People who want share.)

How to get all the AC into PP without an Lagg?
Thanks!
:!: :!: :!: I search for People who want exchange VRS Data. I life near LOWW and i have a huge Coverage and multiple Receiver. :!: :!: :!:
My newest Project: http://www.publictransportforum.at/

Return to “Installation Problems”