VRS Directory Listing

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
AbnormalChunks

VRS Directory Listing

Post by AbnormalChunks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:20 pm

I have finally put my VRS on the internet after getting a static IP and configuring my router firewall.

http://81.174.139.59:8077/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

I can access VRS externally using a mobile or computer and I have attempted to get my VRS listed on the Directory section on virtualradarserver.co.uk however following the instructions given I get the following error message in the Account section of SDM :-

"Could not fetch the directory entry from this URL - the site may be down, it may not be running a recent version of VRS or it may be configured for a different key."

I can't see what the problem is as I have using the key given on the page...

VRS 2.1.0.37696 is running on xubuntu 15.04 under Mono

AbnormalChunks

Re: VRS Directory Listing

Post by AbnormalChunks » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:24 pm

No idea why but this issue has resolved itself! My VRS is now listed in the Directory... :)

AbnormalChunks

Post by AbnormalChunks » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Right, so now I notice that my listing keeps disappearing and I have to log on to SDM and manually update the directory. The site is definitely accessible so I'm still in the dark!

agw

Post by agw » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:19 am

Sorry for the delay in replying! Yes, you're right, something ain't right. I've had a look at the entry for your site in the database, tried the site for myself - worked fine - then tried fetching the page that the directory fetches to check that the site is reachable - fetched it just fine. However when the server tried to fetch your site 11 minutes ago (from the time of writing) it failed.

I can also retrieve the page directly from the server using curl, so it's not that it's working for me but failing for the server.

Unfortunately I'm not logging enough detail to tell exactly what's going on. I'll add more logging to the site over the next couple of days and then hopefully that should shed some light on where the problem lies.

AbnormalChunks

Post by AbnormalChunks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:14 am

Great thanks for looking at it... :) Not a huge issue for me as I know the URL but being so close to Manchester means a good feed with interesting transits so others might fancy a look too.

AbnormalChunks

Post by AbnormalChunks » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 pm

OK, so have changed my link in SDM to use my ISP supplied DNS name plus upgraded to the latest preview version (2.1.0.2453 still under Mono on Xubuntu 15.04) and I'm now appearing on the Directory listing. Did anything change on your side Andrew? :)

agw

Post by agw » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 am

Nope, not yet :) I think there is an issue there, it just needs a bit of a tweak in the code.

AbnormalChunks

Post by AbnormalChunks » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:54 am

Hello Andrew! Thanks for the new version, have upgraded and I think the new aircraft markers are a great addition. Still not having much luck getting listed in the Directory only works if I refresh manually from the account page if that's any use logwise. I imagine you had your plate full with the new release and life in general... Cheers Seb :)

agw

Post by agw » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:24 am

OK - I'll take a look over the weekend at what's going on. The refresh button is calling the same code as the directory refresh worker, so I think the basic "look at the site and see if it's working" bit is working. It's going to be something else on top of that. If it's not working by next Monday then bump this thread to remind me :)

agw

Post by agw » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 pm

I think it may be caused by a bug in VRS that causes connections to the server to be closed prematurely, particularly under Mono. If you could have a go with the preview version of VRS here:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Preview.aspx

and let me know how you get on. If it doesn't work then let me know what time (roughly) you installed the preview version and what time you regressed back to the release version (if you do regress), then I can check the logs and see if something else might have caused you not to show up in the directory.