Adding missing routes

Are you having trouble getting Virtual Radar Server installed and running? If so then this is the place to ask about it.
jonfear

Adding missing routes

Post by jonfear » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi all

I have read somewhere else here about adding route details for submission. The syntax seem to make no sense. What I have is:

RYR4WY - Flight code as broadcast by ADSB
FR651 - Actual flight number making it meaningful

Then obviously PIK - FAO or EGPK - LPFR

Can you please let me know the correct syntax to use in the CSV for submission?

Using the syntax detailed in the post regarding 1.0.2 makes no sense.

Also can you confirm where to send submissions to? Perhaps we can have a section within the forum for self help advice etc?

Congratulations for a brilliant bit of software, now up and running on http://www.wslwx.co.uk/newweb/wslwx-VR.php

Best wishes

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

agw

Re: Adding missing routes

Post by agw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:33 pm

The routes are undergoing a bit of a change at the moment. That posting probably referred to the file format used for custom routes but I've taken that feature out of VRS as it encouraged people not to share their routes with everyone else. I'm in the middle of writing a website that will allow people to lookup routes and submit corrections or additions to routes for themselves rather than having to go to the bother of emailing them in. The routes will be available for anyone to download and use as they see fit, as they are now.

However that website is some way off from going live. In the meantime if you send your routes to me (either a PM on the forum or an email to andrew@virtualradarserver.co.uk will be fine) then I'll add them by hand.

I wouldn't worry too much about the route format unless you're sending lots of them, I can figure it out. The information that I need is:

1. The callsign, in your example RYR4WY
2. The route as a series of either ICAO or IATA codes for each airport. I don't have any preference as to which coding system you use.

If the callsign sent by the aircraft does not include the operator's IATA or ICAO code then you'll need to add the code to the start of the callsign (e.g. WestJet would use a callsign of "123" but in your submission you should specify the callsign as "WJA123").

If you have more than a handful of routes (and believe me, if you have lots of Ryanair routes then that would be fantastic :)) then it would help me if they are submitted in a rigid format with each route on a separate line. The routes can be just lines in an email or a separate text file or CSV format spreadsheet file. As long as you stick to a single format for each line it doesn't strictly matter what format you use - I can figure it out - but each line should contain at least:

Operator Code,Flight Number,Route

The operator code can be ICAO or IATA, I don't care. The flight number is as it appears in the callsign, the bit after the operator code - the flight number that the airline uses is of no use, it isn't transmitted by the aircraft. The route should be ICAO or IATA airport codes with hyphens between each airport. It doesn't matter if you use an IATA code for one airport and an ICAO code for another. So for your example any of these lines would be fine:

Code: Select all

RYR,4WY,EGPK-LPFR
or

FR,4WY,EGPK-LPFR
or

FR,4WY,PIK-FAO
and so on. Whatever's easiest for you.

When the route submission website is live I'll be putting a notice about it on the Announcements forum and the next version of VRS following its launch will incorporate links to the website for callsigns that are missing a route, or are wrong, on the website display. It will need user registration to submit routes but only so that I can control vandalism. It won't be of any help to spammers so it won't be as heavy-duty as the user registration on the forum - no captchas etc.

jonfear

Re: Adding missing routes

Post by jonfear » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi agw

Cool, many thanks for letting me know. I have a growing spreadsheet that I will adjust to suit my preferences. First edition will be with you close of play Sunday!

I have downloaded the apache version from elsewhere and would be interested in that version due to having my own webserver. I will publish my findings soon... I need to take some load back off my weather station machine... or create a new vm just for ADSB....

Best wishes

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.