Controlling the Marker Clusterer

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
agw

Controlling the Marker Clusterer

Postby agw » Fri May 13, 2016 12:48 am

The 12th May preview version of the server includes support for the marker clusterer library, which merges multiple aircraft into a single icon when you zoom out.

I'll update the custom content plugin documentation once it's released properly but in the meantime these are the globalOptions variables that you can use to switch it off or to change the zoom level where it starts clustering icons:

VRS.globalOptions.aircraftMarkerClustererEnabled - defaults to true, set to false to switch the clusterer off

VRS.globalOptions.aircraftMarkerClustererMaxZoom - currently defaults to 7, this is the zoom level where it starts clustering map markers.

Documentation on how to use the custom content plugin to configure the globalOptions is here:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Documentation/CustomContent/ChangeSettings.aspx

Rick

Re: Controlling the Marker Clusterer

Postby Rick » Sat May 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks for this info Andrew. I have written the Plug-in BUT when I go to Tools|Plugin the only option I have is to work with a database file. The screenshots therefore do not match my screen.

Obviously I'm missing something ... and I am unable to inject the script.

Excuse this but these scripts / plugins are new to me.

Rick

kappy1

Postby kappy1 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 am

You need to download the Custom Content Plugin http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Preview.aspx

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun May 15, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks "kappy1".

That has solved the problem. However, it looks like I have the aircraft back at the 50 km scale BUT I've lost the aircraft tails. Now the tails are gone at 50 km and up. All is well at 20 km and below.

I think I'll call it a night!

agw

Postby agw » Mon May 16, 2016 1:56 am

The intention is that the zoom level where trails are suppressed is always the same as the zoom level where the clusterer kicks in... but that might not be happening :) You can set the zoom level explicitly by setting VRS.globalOptions.aircraftMarkerTrailsMaxZoom to the same zoom as your clusterer max zoom level.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 am

Thanks Andrew. I set VRS.globalOptions.aircraftMarkerClustererEnabled to false. I assumed that turned off the clusters and, of course, clusters don't have trails. I'll try extending the MaxZoom instead and see how it goes.

EDIT: I added VRS.globalOptions.aircraftMarkerTrailsMaxZoom and reset both MaxZOOM commands to 6 and all is well.

For my set-up I normally use the 50 km scale. The traffic I can monitor is not dense. For example I am currently tracking 14 aircraft out of 45 that are being followed. However 2 of those aircraft are in excess of 200 nMi (370 km) from my station. It's not unusual (a few times a week) to see aircraft at 230 nMi (425 km).

Because of my location 100+ km from KSEA and over the hill from both CYYJ and CYVR, VRS rarely tracks more than 50 aircraft or follows more than 80 at a time.

Extranet

Postby Extranet » Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi Andrew

Interesting new feature but would be so much nicer if the user could turn it Off/On via a menu option with the chance to customize the zoom option too ;)

Thanks
Nigel
VRS World is a Private ADSB Network with its own MLAT Server.
If your interested in joining us then please visit our Facebook Group
for more details or email support(at)vrs-world.com

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon May 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Thanks for adding the Tab for setting the cluster level in the latest (May 22/16) Preview. It works perfectly!

Rick

Return to “Preview Versions”