Labels don't update. Bug?

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
andrew

Labels don't update. Bug?

Postby andrew » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi,
I'm using the preview version (18/02/2017) on RaspberryPi and aircafts label don't update. So altitude or speed change (I see the new values on right panel) but on the map stay the same. It refresh correctly if I deselect and reselect the plane.

agw

Re: Labels don't update. Bug?

Postby agw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm guessing that you're using the new SVG aircraft markers (they show the values in centered text on the altitude stalk rather than in a left-aligned block under the marker)? If so then it sounds like the markers aren't getting repainted for some reason.

Which browser are you using? Are you running the browser on the Pi?

Also, if you switch SVG aircraft markers off in the options (Options | Web Site | Web Site Customisation | Use SVG Graphics) then do the aircraft labels start updating correctly?

andrew

Postby andrew » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, I'm using the new SVG markers (btw they look much better: on mono the old markers have a dark background). If I turn it off the labels update correctly.

And I've tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge), on LAN and internet (if you want I can PM you the url of my VRS).

Thank you!

agw

Postby agw » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. The SVG markers differ from the old non-SVG versions in that there isn't any part of them that is rendered by the server, it's all rendered client-side by the browser using JavaScript. I could see how some arcane browser running on the Pi might have issues but it's odd that it's failing in (presumably) PC browsers over the LAN. I run the preview versions here at home and I'm viewing the site under Chrome without issue.

So, I suspect that there may be a difference in the JavaScript that you're running and the JavaScript that I'm running. Do you have the custom content plugin installed? What happens if you disable it and then refresh the page, do the SVG markers start working properly?

If switching custom scripts off doesn't help then are you sure that you overwrote all of the site's files when you unpacked the tarball - is it possible that you have a mix of old and new JavaScript running?

If you could PM or email me the site's address then I can take a look. If switching custom scripts off gets the labels working then there'd still be some mileage in taking a look and seeing what it was about the custom scripts that broke the markers, but for that you'd need to turn custom scripts back on again so that I can see where the interference is coming from.

agw

Postby agw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the PM and the link, it was very helpful. I can see what's wrong, if the server is mono and only the SVG marker text needs changing then it doesn't get flagged up as needing to be refreshed. I'll have it fixed for the next preview.

andrew

Postby andrew » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 am

Thank you very much!

Return to “Preview Versions”