No pictures except local ones (3.3.0-6 mono)

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
JayM

No pictures except local ones (3.3.0-6 mono)

Post by JayM »

I remember that VRS 2.4.4 used to show pictures of the airplanes even though my local pictures directory was empty. 3.3.0 preview 6 doesn't show any unless I download them, rename them to the planes' ICAO or registration numbers and store them in the pictures folder. It seems that 2.4.4 was finding them from somewhere online and displaying them and 3.0.0-6 isn't doing that. Any idea what's going on? My expectation was that it would still do the online lookups then if no pictures were found would fall back to the locally-stored ones but it's only showing the latter.
JayM

Re: No pictures except local ones (3.3.0-6 mono)

Post by JayM »

I think I know why. From the preview page, version 2 preview 4:
Links to and thumbnails from airport-data.com have been removed after AVG and Malwarebytes have started blocking links to the site.
This change will have been carried over to version 3, preview 6. Hopefully there's another site where thumbnails of aircraft can be obtained online (perhaps flightradar24.com?) so everyone doesn't have to download and locally store airplane pictures.