12 Nov update

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
Bhaal

12 Nov update

Postby Bhaal » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:28 am

Hi :)

Just wondering how this works: "Added online aircraft detail lookup." In the latest preview? Is it automatic or something I click on? Or is it done from the gui? Thanks!

Bhaal

Me109

Re: 12 Nov update

Postby Me109 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Under Tools > Options > Data Sources, there is a new option, "Lookup aircraft details online." Without a database specified I'm seeing the registration and type data populated once the ICAO hex appears, so I *think* it's working.

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 am

Ah, so I need to bring up the gui... righto, thanks

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:48 am

And turned on by default which is helpful :)

andrew

Postby andrew » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm

It works, but my basestation.sqb database is NOT updated with new aircrafts.

agw

Postby agw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30 pm

It's controlled by a new option in Data Sources which is enabled by default. When it's enabled VRS looks for the aircraft details in your BaseStation.sqb and then if they're missing then it'll look for them using a web service that's been added to the routes web site, populated with data courtesy of (and with the permission of) PlaneBase.

It caches the lookups in a new SQB in %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualRadar. A preview of the Database Writer plugin will be going up onto the site soon that supports optionally writing the online lookups to BaseStation.sqb. That option is switched off by default. When that preview goes up there'll be a new server preview to go with it, I had to make some changes to the server to support it.

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 am

Ahhh excellent, was hoping that would happen. Looking forward to it!

agw

Postby agw » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:24 pm

The new previews for the server and database writer plugin are up on the site, let me know if you hit any issues :) You might want to take a backup copy of your BaseStation.sqb before switching the option on, just in case.

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 pm

It seems to be working, although it's checking every time the aircraft is seen, I am guessing this is a cached response, but if not, then maybe you only want to update once a month or so?

Also, my other minor issue is that the data you are getting often has "Private" as the operator's name. The CASA database publicly displays all VH registrations owner and operator names, and since having the Database editor I have been putting the operator details in, but now the operator details are being overwritten with "Private" which it gets from Planebase... I think maybe if operator name != Private then update, otherwise leave alone? Maybe update if registration date is greater than last manual edit?

agw

Postby agw » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am

It should be doing a lookup if the aircraft record is older than 28 days or, if the aircraft record is empty, more than a day old. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's not behaving itself there.

Regarding the operator name - I'm just writing what I get back from the server, which is currently PlaneBase data (almost, I change the non-standard model ICAOs to the standard ones where I can). The problem with not overwriting names with "Private" is that if a corporate aircraft is sold to an individual then the operator name will continue to say "Private" when the operator name is now known.

I was thinking while I was doing this that I could add a checkbox to the database editor to tell it to only lookup new and missing aircraft, and leave existing aircraft alone. If I put that in then your own edits would be preserved but you'd then be responsible for updating aircraft records when they change hands.

Return to “Preview Versions”