12 Nov update

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
Bhaal

Re: 12 Nov update

Postby Bhaal » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:04 am

If operator name != "Private" and operator name != "DB operator name" then update DB operator name ..?

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 am

Hrm, was just going to throw this in the Feature requests thread, but what would be cool is some form of API where we can give an option to run an external script (local on the file system) which would be called as part of the planebase update ... If nothing is returned from that script then check Planebase... So for instance in Australia CASA provide a CSV file with current registrations updated monthly, as well as a web interface which could be scraped. But the writing of the script would be up to the user... Just a thought..

Me109

Postby Me109 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 pm

Is the Operator Code field being updated with the PlaneBase data as well?

dsfh2992

Postby dsfh2992 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:26 am

Does PlaneBase not contain all publically available aircraft data? For example, all US-registered aircraft are available via download from the FAA.

agw

Postby agw » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:25 pm

some form of API where we can give an option to run an external script (local on the file system) which would be called as part of the update

The aim here is to help out new and casual users who don't have or want BaseStation.sqb files, and Linux users, who aren't well served by 3rd party BaseStation.sqb update clients. It is a basic aircraft details online lookup, not a full-on replacement for PLink or Active Display. Adding things like the ability to run scripts to inject or modify the data is outside of the remit of what I'm trying to do here. I don't want anything complicated.

However, a plugin can stick its fingers into the online lookup and change how it works - it can make it call a different provider of online data, it can wrap the online lookup provider and modify the data that is fetched before it is passed around to the rest of the program and so on. So if you're handy with C# or VB.NET then you could write a plugin to do what you're describing.

Is the Operator Code field being updated with the PlaneBase data as well?

Yes, although the server-side import of PlaneBase data discards operator codes that are not ICAO operator codes.

Does PlaneBase not contain all publically available aircraft data? For example, all US-registered aircraft are available via download from the FAA.

Yes, as far as I know, although you'll need to ask PlaneBase about specifics regarding what's in their data.

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:27 am

agw wrote: So if you're handy with C# or VB.NET then you could write a plugin to do what you're describing.

Unfortunately I do not know either, only: php, python, js, and bits and pieces of others :/

It doesn't seem to have everything, all privately owned craft are marked as "private" as far as Australian craft are concerned... Though the owner information is available publicly from the CASA site... Ah well..

Return to “Preview Versions”