12-5 Database Writer still looking up every contact

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
paradiselost

12-5 Database Writer still looking up every contact

Postby paradiselost » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:16 pm

The 12-5 Database Writer is still looking up every contact and overwriting the database. Unchecking online lookups is the only way to prevent this with this version. Planebase data is not as current as our editing.

paradiselost
Working Example of Version 2.3.0 Virtual Radar Server http://222.127.74.244/virtualradar/
VRS 2.2 Help Files http://222.127.74.244:8080

agw

Re: 12-5 Database Writer still looking up every contact

Postby agw » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm not seeing this behaviour, if you don't tick the box to overwrite existing aircraft then it won't look up aircraft where the record exists and it has at least a registration, manufacturer, model or registered owner. It gets checked in a single function, I just stepped through on the debugger for a check on 192 aircraft and 1 needed a lookup. I've also set a breakpoint in the lookup function and checked the ICAOs that it was being asked to fetch, most didn't exist in BaseStation.sqb and the ones that did were ones that had no details.

Did you update both the server and the plugin? The plugin sets the flag but it's code in the server that's honouring it.

paradiselost

Postby paradiselost » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:27 am

agw wrote:I'm not seeing this behaviour, if you don't tick the box to overwrite existing aircraft then it won't look up aircraft where the record exists and it has at least a registration, manufacturer, model or registered owner. It gets checked in a single function, I just stepped through on the debugger for a check on 192 aircraft and 1 needed a lookup. I've also set a breakpoint in the lookup function and checked the ICAOs that it was being asked to fetch, most didn't exist in BaseStation.sqb and the ones that did were ones that had no details.

The 12-5 version of the Database Writer and the 12-5 server software is being used and when lookup is checked somehow it is looking up existing records and overwriting the local basestation.sqb with stale information from the lookup link as reported.

Unknowns if not existing in the local database have a blank record created in the local basestation.sqb. Depending on the volume of the flights tracked 50-hundreds are added to the basestation.sqb daily along with 000000 which has a switch to ignore but isn't.

I have just began to turn off the lookup and enable the partial fill in to see how that works. It seems like I tried this once before but I didn't click ok after disabling the lookup and then enabling the partial look I got an exception error.

Partial fill-in could be a nice feature on those records who have the manufacturer and date of build missing.

One possibility to consider at looking at age is whether time tracked was left open as the date changed before midnight. Most of the unknowns have a time tracked of 00:00. Disregarding these before writing a report would shorten the reports pages.

paradiselost
Working Example of Version 2.3.0 Virtual Radar Server http://222.127.74.244/virtualradar/
VRS 2.2 Help Files http://222.127.74.244:8080

agw

Postby agw » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:19 am

Existing records are looked up if their last modified date is older than 28 days. If there is no record for an ICAO then it gets looked up straight away, and if the record exists but it's mostly empty then it gets looked up if the record is older than 24 hours.

If you're using the database editor then that sets the last modified date so those records shouldn't be overwritten straight away, but they will get looked up the first time the aircraft makes an appearance 28 days after your edit, and the results will be written back to BaseStation.sqb if you tell the plugin to write lookups to the database.

Records are written by the database writer plugin for new ICAOs regardless of whether they're going to be looked up. From memory I think they just have the ICAO and created / updated dates. If the lookup can't find details for the ICAO then it'll add "Missing" (I think) to UserString1 so that it knows that it knows it tried to find it, and that it shouldn't try again if the aircraft returns within 24 hours.

Bhaal

Postby Bhaal » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:37 pm

So that means that every 28 days I will need to go back and start editing aircraft again? As I mentioned previously, my biggest issue is that for some reason a lot of aircraft in Australia, especially smaller aircraft seem to have the owner listed as "Private" .. I honestly don't know why as the information is publicly accessible, not once have I come across an aircraft which lists the owner as "Private" or any other form of censorship.. I think my previous suggestion of not updating owner related details if Planebase lists the owner as "Private" would be the best approach to this (unless of course there is no data for the plane)... All other information should be added though, like manufacturer etc etc, that would be helpful.. I cannot think of another approach to this that would be suitable..

Merry Christmas for those who celebrate it!

agw

Postby agw » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:21 pm

You can tell the database writer plugin not to overwrite records that already have registrations, owners etc., in which case new aircraft are still written and your edits are preserved.

Return to “Preview Versions”