Global Lookup Database Staleness

Discussions about the preview versions of Virtual Radar Server.
Forum rules
Please bear in mind if you do install a preview version that it is unfinished code, there may be bugs, bits missing, things that don't work etc.

Posts in this forum will not show up in forum search results. Old threads will be pruned occasionally.
paradiselost

Global Lookup Database Staleness

Postby paradiselost » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Andrew is there a way to correct the global lookup database with the same revisions that we have edited locally. We have patiently been waiting until your plate was empty to raise this point again. Local data is being overwritten with stale data. All basestation.sqb are local not global.

We would be glad to help.

Perhaps instead of the program calling the wrong airline logo from fields overwritten if the CallSign was the determining factor for the selection of the operator logo we could tolerate the flight being attributed to the wrong stale airline Operator ICAO and Operator in the reports. Presently the DataBase Writer just overwrites the correctly edited information with the stale info.

Latest Server and Database Writer plugin installed.

paradiselost
Working Example of Version 2.3.0 Virtual Radar Server http://222.127.74.244/virtualradar/
VRS 2.2 Help Files http://222.127.74.244:8080

agw

Re: Global Lookup Database Staleness

Postby agw » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Callsign is not used when loading the operator logo, it's the operator flag field in BaseStation.sqb.

If you're maintaining your own BaseStation.sqb then do not tell the database writer to save online lookups in BaseStation.sqb. That's the default setting, just don't tick the box.

shish0r

Postby shish0r » Mon May 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi guys,

I have a similar issue to this, running the preview version from 28th March 2016. I am trying to let VRS lookup unknown aircraft from the internet and add them to the SQB file, but to then be able to update bits manually in the SQB file using the database editor plugin. However, if I make an edit to the SQB using the plugin (say to add an operator code to an aircraft) VRS seems to overwrite this with a lookup from the internet when the aircraft is next seen. I thought this would be stopped by configuring the options in the database writer plugin by NOT selecting 'overwrite details on existing aircraft', i.e. leave anything already in the database alone, but I guess this is not correct? I have the first option of 'save online lookups to the database' as I do want entries for unknown aircraft to go in if they exist in the online database at planebase. Have I missed something here?

Regards

Andy

agw

Postby agw » Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 pm

No, the settings you've got should be working. Do you remember which fields were already filled in on the aircraft before you made your edit?

shish0r

Postby shish0r » Sun May 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply.

I've actually been filling in ICAO Operator fields for some entries and for some blank entries, like the new Ryanair 737's that haven't hit online database yet, been filling in most of the fields using the database editor plug-in. If, after doing the edits I query the database all the updates look good and also on VRS I can see the op flags appearing in my aircraft list. However, when I come back some hours later I have been finding that these changes have all disappeared the next time the aircraft gets picked up and things have gone back to the state as if they have been re-looked up. It's just like that 'overwrite details on existing aircraft' is permanently stuck on. I have actually tried enabling and then disabling it but with no change of effect.

Cheers

Andy

shish0r

Postby shish0r » Sun May 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Okay, quick update, I have tried checking and un-checking the option to overwrite details and things now seem to be okay. I have no idea what might have been causing the problem before, but things are looking good now. Sorry if I've just caused any un-necessary work.

Andy

Return to “Preview Versions”