"Species"

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
egpd1701

"Species"

Post by egpd1701 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:13 pm

I have a question about the "Species" of an aircraft.

I just did a search on Species for Helicopter and much to my amazement, only one of my many helicopters showed up.

I've had a look at the data for both the "one" and the rest and I can see no difference.

The data doesn't come the "Aircraft Class" variable like you would think it does.

Where does it store this "Species" variable? Can you change the search in the Reports so that we can search on the proper field "Aircraft Class" please or make sure the "Species" field is updated correctly. If you can tell me where you store this
variable then I would be able to update it manually when I update my other fields.

Thanks

paradiselost

Re: "Species"

Post by paradiselost » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:07 pm

If you use PBlink 3 from PlaneBase in the View Database tab Display All the species are definable by table which has the column header TBL. H for helicopters, J for jet, T for turboprop, B for business etc.

Another column that may interest you is the US4 which contains Military or M if so desired.

If Country is missing in your reports, the columns Country and ModeSCountry should be the same depending on the location of the carrier.

If Unknowns are filling your database you can remove them using the Database Update tab and the top left option Delete HEX click in unknown and then ALL. This removes them from the database.

paradiselost
John
Last edited by paradiselost on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working Example of Version 2 Beta Virtual Radar Server http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net/virtualradar/
VRS 2 Help Files http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net:8080

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 pm

If you are referring to the species field shown on the VRS reports, I think that comes from the internal "standing data" database and is determined from the ICAOTypeCode for the aircraft. [Aside: slightly confusingly the ICAOTypeCode is displayed in the "Type" column on the report list view but is called "Model Code" in the report criteria dialog. It is also shown on the aircraft detail panel, on the right side under the "civil/military" indicator on the default panel layout]

As long as your basestation.sqb database has the correct icaotypecode set for aircraft VRS should show the right species.

Trying running a search for a specific helicopter type, eg set the criteria to be say "Model Code is R44". That should list all the Robinson R44s logged for the date range. If everything is good with the databases, the species should be shown as 'Helicopter'.

Are the fields for "engines" and "wake turbulance" being shown correctly on the aircraft details panel? They are also determined from the ICAOTypeCode but will not be displayed if the type code is wrong or missing in the basestation database. A search on "wake turbulance" criteria will also not show the right results.

HTH

Charlie

egpd1701

Post by egpd1701 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:31 pm

HI

If the Species field uses the ICAOTypeCode field (thanks Charlie-Alpha for pointing me in the correct direction) then there is the problem. The assumption is that we are using standard ICAO codes and not modified ones to show customized company colours on the silhouettes.

For those of us who dont use standard ICAO Type codes - i.e. S92 is normal - S92-HKS is a CHC S92, then the assumption falls over and breaks the program.
The reasons for the non-standard ICAO type codes is to liven up the data screen and change the silhouettes to company specific coloured silhouettes which is a lot easier to look at and nicer on the eyes that the boring black on blue standard.

See the attachment for an example of what I mean. (cant add a file in either IE or Chrome to show you - a 29kb file gets HTTP error and doesn't upload!!!)

So what I am now asking is, is there a way of changing the field in the reports so that I can seach on the AircraftClass field instead of the ICAOTypeCodes field? The AircraftClass field has a set amount of fixed data which cannot change. Fixed-Wing Landplane, Helicopter, Balloon, Amphibian etc. This would be the logical field to select the "Species" of aircraft and the one which I thought was being used. If not, can we have the options to define out own field in the report or can the "AircraftClass" field be added to the search list.

Thanks.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:07 pm

The species field does indeed come from a lookup of the model ICAO code, which the program assumes is in ICAOTypeCode. VRS assumes that any field with "ICAO code" in the name is only going to have ICAO codes in it.

I'll add AircraftClass to the criteria list for the reports.

egpd1701

Post by egpd1701 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for adding that!

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:33 pm

If you want to display coloured side profiles specific to the operator you might like to look at this thread
http://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/v ... t=squadron
I actually use the "aircraft class" field to hold my custom silhouette code (operator code + type code; eg BAWB772) and have modified the code provided in that thread to create a custom content plugin that uses the following order to determine the silhouette to display - registration, "aircraft class", icaotypecode. All my side profiles are stored in my silhouette directory. If there is say a G-ZZZA.bmp file (eg a special paint job for that aircraft) that file is used. If not BAWB772.bmp is used if it exists, otherwise a generic B772.bmp is used. Where I can I have replace the original black silhouettes with coloured side profiles.

I used the aircraft class field because it wasn't used in my basestation.bsq database - neither VRS or PlaneBase seem to use that field - and I didn't want to 'misuse' the manufacturer field as the original poster in the referenced thread did. Maybe your basestation file comes from a difference source. I use a bit of sql to set the aircraft class when I download basestation updates from Planebiz.

I'll leave it Andrew to decide if he wants to support the aircraft class as you suggest - personally I'd like ability to specify the "silhouette" field (and maybe the "operator flag" field) so you can keep the OperatorFlagCode and ICAOTypeCode for 'official' code values and use say PictureURL1 and PictureURL2 for custom silhouette or operator/squadron codes to be used for displaying the icons.

Charlie

egpd1701

Post by egpd1701 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi

I've got my custom silhouettes working fine and all thats needed is a custom .bmp and a changed ICAOTypeCodes field, no programming required, no custom content needed.
So instead of S92, for CHC I uses S92-HKS, A388 for BAW would be A388-BAW etc etc...

All I then need to do is make sure my custom bmp - A388-BAW.bmp or S92-HKS.bmp is present in the silhouettes directory and everything works. Couldn't be more simpler!

I dont use Planebase as I've found them to be inaccurate - I have written my own database editor and I make changes to my db through SQLite and SQLite command prompts.

Using custom codes is a good idea, but since its taken me 3 weeks to get my database swapped over to the nice new colourfull one (which admitedly is not complete yet but at around 90%) then I dont think I'll be moving them again soon! :)

OhhNeal

Post by OhhNeal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:27 am

Hi EGPD and Charlie,

Since I'm the guy who started the http://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/v ... t=squadron thread, the only reason I used the Manufacturer field is because it's being used by ActiveDisplay to add the squadrons. So I stuck with that. As I might change over to Planebase I would most probably go use an other field as well. But it was an easy way to get the squadrons populated.
As such it worked for me.

EGPD, with some SQL statements it shouldn't be to hard to get the IcaoType back to original and the custom code in a field not used by an other program and even have it semi automated with new ac's coming up. I run my SQL statements once a week to get the manufacturer field populated in a IcaoOperatorIcaotype (BAWb747) style for the big operators, or do it live when I see a new ac pop up without type/squadron logo.

Regards,
Neal

batrakiu

Post by batrakiu » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:27 pm

CharlieAlpha wrote: I actually use the "aircraft class" field to hold my custom silhouette code (operator code + type code; eg BAWB772) and have modified the code provided in that thread to create a custom content plugin that uses the following order to determine the silhouette to display - registration, "aircraft class", icaotypecode. All my side profiles are stored in my silhouette directory. If there is say a G-ZZZA.bmp file (eg a special paint job for that aircraft) that file is used. If not BAWB772.bmp is used if it exists, otherwise a generic B772.bmp is used. Where I can I have replace the original black silhouettes with coloured side profiles.

Charlie
Hi there!
I was trying to do that with the "ICAOTypeCode " but it broke down the Species.. :(
Can you provide your 'custom content' or guide me in the direction to use the AircraftClass?

Thanks!