unable to display Google Maps

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
Yashub

unable to display Google Maps

Post by Yashub » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 am

Hi,

I keep get a error message when i open Internet ip address but when i open local address Google Maps work why that?

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks

Here is the error message:
=
This page was unable to display a Google Maps element. Please contact the site administrator. If you are the administrator of this site, please check the JavaScript console or check the following page for troubleshooting: http://g.co/mapsJSApiErrors
=

Dan Small

Re: unable to display Google Maps

Post by Dan Small » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:49 pm

We are getting the same error with the most recently downloaded version, but only when we run VRS behind the corporate firewall on our enterprise LAN (which in general only supports tcp on 80 and 443.

If we look in the JavaScript console, it comes back with a Google map key API error. If we run it from an unrestricted lan, it seems to work just fine. Another difference is that the unrestricted lan is served using private IP's whereas the enterprise production lab or mapped IP's that would be seen directly as public ip addresses.

Thanks!

Dan

squawk7000

Post by squawk7000 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 pm

I too am having the same problem.

Everything okay on the local network but no google maps when online.
First noticed about 48 hours ago.

Regards

Squawk 7000

rwinterhoff

Post by rwinterhoff » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Also having the exact same problem.
"This page was unable to display a Google Maps element. Please contact the site administrator. If you are the administrator of this site, please check the JavaScript console or check the following page for troubleshooting: http://g.co/mapsJSApiErrors"

The last time VRS was used over the internet was on June 27th and all worked fine.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

agw

Post by agw » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 am

Google changed their terms & conditions for the use of Google Maps on 22nd June, they no longer support keyless API use :/ However existing domains (and IP addresses, by the looks of it) that were using Google Maps before 22nd June can continue to use the keyless API. It looks like private IP addresses are alright but you will get this error if you put the site up onto the Internet after 22nd June.

It's possible to set a JavaScript variable to hold a Google Maps API key via the custom content plugin but that's no good if lots of people need to do it, so I'll be adding support for entering Google Maps API keys to the server before 2.4 is released (https://trello.com/c/1MJFzobr). I'm hoping to have a version with support for API keys in preview some time this weekend.

rwinterhoff

Post by rwinterhoff » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:28 pm

My ISP changed my IP a few days ago and the drop out of Google Maps seems to coincide with that.

Thanks for the quick response.

rwinterhoff

Post by rwinterhoff » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Installed the update preview - added the Google Maps Browser API - All works well.

I am assuming this will have to be done every time my ISP decides to change my IP ( about every 3 - 6 months) - no big thing.

Thanks again for the quick and excellent support!

agw

Post by agw » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:38 am

rwinterhoff wrote:I am assuming this will have to be done every time my ISP decides to change my IP ( about every 3 - 6 months) - no big thing.
Not necessarily. When you get the API key from Google you can (and definitely should!) restrict the key's usage to an address or domain. If you sign up with a dynamic DNS provider then you can restrict the key's usage to the domain that you get from them. That should survive any changes to the site's IP address.

The API key isn't private, people can see it when they view the files that the site is downloading (the site appends it to the request for the Google Maps JavaScript), so it is important that you restrict the API key to a domain or IP address.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Yes this is suddenly a real pain. I wanted to move my personal server to a different domain and it refuses to work because I tried to establish it just this week. My old domain continues to work fine but the domain I use is my employers which has been fine but I expect a shuttering of the doors within a few months.

Google is really starting to pi$$ me off on some of their policies. The Plane Finder client has the same problem too. You cannot view the maps without a key except under special circumstances. It is enough to make me want to move to Bing.

agw

Post by agw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:00 pm

From what I remember when I took a look at Bing they've always made you use an API key, I don't think there would be any improvement in the situation there.

You can continue to ignore the API key for local loopback and LAN access, which I suspect will cover 99% of VRS users.