SVG labels don't show all text

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
WeKnowMC

SVG labels don't show all text

Post by WeKnowMC » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:42 pm

I am running the preview version of VRS and I am using the SVG graphics. I have the aircraft label line settings to show the callsign, receiver and flight level of the aircraft. Some of the receiver text is cut off the labels as shown in the picture below. This also happens with aircrafts with long callsigns. This doesn't happen with the SVG graphics option unchecked in the settings.

agw

Re: SVG labels don't show all text

Post by agw » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:10 am

The problem is that I can't calculate the width of the text for SVG markers so I can't scale the font size down for individual lines until they fit. There's a bit of fiddling about that I can do with marker widths and font sizes but there'll be a limit to it, long lines of text are going to be clipped with SVG markers.

WeKnowMC

Post by WeKnowMC » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:45 am

Is there a way to make aircraft icons use SVGs but the label underneath use the old way of showing labels? If not I'll have to disable SVGs altogether.

Either way, could the old non SVG text label underneath aircrafts be styled to be centered underneath the aircraft icon, like the SVG ones are now? It would make the non SVG lables look better with, especially with long text.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Is there a way to make aircraft icons use SVGs but the label underneath use the old way of showing labels? If not I'll have to disable SVGs altogether.
No, either the browser creates the aircraft marker via SVG or the server creates it, you'll need to disable the SVGs. I figured that SVGs weren't going to be suitable for all installations so I put a setting in to turn them on and off - it's Tools | Options | Web Site.
Either way, could the old non SVG text label underneath aircrafts be styled to be centered underneath the aircraft icon, like the SVG ones are now?
They already are on Windows, I'm guessing we're talking about a Mono installation here? I seem to remember that I did try to have the marker label centered under the marker's anchor point, as per the Windows markers, but it was tricky... from what I remember I needed to know the pixel width of the marker before I could centre it. So it's basically the same issue as clipping long strings of SVG text, I can't get the pixel width of the text from within the browser.

WeKnowMC

Post by WeKnowMC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 pm

agw wrote:They already are on Windows, I'm guessing we're talking about a Mono installation here?
Yes - I didn't know that it looks differently on windows.
agw wrote:I seem to remember that I did try to have the marker label centered under the marker's anchor point, as per the Windows markers, but it was tricky... from what I remember I needed to know the pixel width of the marker before I could centre it. So it's basically the same issue as clipping long strings of SVG text, I can't get the pixel width of the text from within the browser.
Ahh - in that case i'll just stick with the SVG labels. Its still not a perfect solution but its looks better than the massive offset black boxes - ill just have to bear with the cut off text