No airplanes on map or with random showing

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
ADSB_MBX

No airplanes on map or with random showing

Postby ADSB_MBX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello,

i have an issue with VRS 2.4 and showing planes on map. The problem is following:
- i receive data with ADSB USB dongle and i use adsbscope 2.7
- i configured VRS 2.4 so i can receive signals from receiver
- in map i do not see any air planes, from time to time randomly is show one or maybe two air planes
- in the list i can see lot of air planes with all data, but not on map
- if i select a plane from list sometimes i can see it, sometimes not
- the distances shown when i select an air plane are not normal from few 100 km to few 1000 km
- the lan/log in VRS are set the same as for the map
- in the VRS 2.4 there is no option to set map location (lan/lon), so i installed VRS 2.0 to solve this and then i reinstalled VRS 2.4 ( initial i had position of the map in England ( Windsor ) therefore i made this trip to VRS 2.0 installation)
- if i check to show trail, there were none shown. Not even if i select an air plane.
- i use Firefox 45
- i tried to see air planes also with tablet and Firefox, and there are planes randomly selected and shown, but i can not see a unselected planes

What could be wrong, or better where i have something wrong ?
Before this, my installation worked perfect with the same hardware and software, but two days ago hard drive corrupted and i installed everything from zero on ( OS and other stuff ).

Regards.

rogerst707

Re: No airplanes on map or with random showing

Postby rogerst707 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:58 am

Hi,

I am also having very similar issues with VRS 2.4 64 bit as I did a clean install and I am running it with an RTL1090 dongle and I am seeing all of the pertinent aircraft data in the right hand column but on-the-screen I am *only* able to see ADS-B, ADS-B V1. and ADS-B V2 aircraft on-my-screen while mode-s aircraft data shows up in the right hand column of my screen but I cannot see *ANY* mode-s aircraft *on-my-screen*. Here in the US mode-s is still widely used and I would rather have the mode-s part working properly than the ADS-B. ;)

Have I (we) ran into a bug??

I have screenshot's of mode-s aircraft I have tracked with older versions of VRS so I know something is up with VRS.

Any help would be *super* appreciated!

-Roger

PS I am running Windows 7 Pro along with Firefox version 53

agw

Postby agw » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

rogerst707 wrote:but I cannot see *ANY* mode-s aircraft *on-my-screen*

Mode-S doesn't carry the aircraft position, that's only carried by ADS-B. I'm afraid you won't see Mode-S aircraft on the map unless you use something like multilateration (which will involve setting up a network of 3+ receivers, ideally spaced several miles apart, and installing MLAT software such as https://github.com/mutability/mlat-client to generate position messages for the aircraft).

I think the FAA has mandated ADS-B for commercial aircraft by some date... ISTR it was 2020? So the situation should improve eventually.

rogerst707 wrote:i have an issue with VRS 2.4 and showing planes on map. The problem is following:

The current version of Firefox is 50-something. However, I wouldn't expect any issues with 45.

Do you have the custom content plugin installed? If so, what happens when you disable it and drop back to the default JavaScript?

rogerst707

Postby rogerst707 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 pm

But older versions of VRS show *all* mode s aircraft....why would I have to do something crazy like setting up 3 receivers when *older* versions of VRS worked *perfectly* picking up *ALL* mode-s aircraft *on-screen*?

Thanks,

-Roger

PS I'm going to edit this to say not *all* mode-s aircraft showed up on screen but *most* did....I have screenshot proof.
Last edited by rogerst707 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerst707

Postby rogerst707 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:28 pm

And I know for sure something is wrong with the VRS software because when I know a mode-s aircraft is there but I cant see it on my screen I can go to flightradar24.com which uses dongle data to track flights I can *see* the mode-s aircraft on-my-screen.

I'm telling you...something is *drastically* wrong with the VRS software....somebody fixed something that broke something else....but plain and simply older versions of VRS tracked mode-s aircraft beautifully....VRS 2.4 does not!

-Roger

ADSB_MBX

Postby ADSB_MBX » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 pm

agw wrote:
rogerst707 wrote:but I cannot see *ANY* mode-s aircraft *on-my-screen*

The current version of Firefox is 50-something. However, I wouldn't expect any issues with 45.

Do you have the custom content plugin installed? If so, what happens when you disable it and drop back to the default JavaScript?

Hello,

no i do not have any content plugins installed. I tried in FF 45, FF52, Chrome and always the same result. The planes are not seen on map, just on the list and if i select any of them they showing a distance what i mentioned in my first msg. Map is loaded with correct lan/log. ( i can see my location with dot )
So from where does VRS calculate distance of the plane ? Ok one are planes coordinates, ant the second point should be a coordinate of receiver which is entered in VRC configuration under Receiver Locations.

I really do not know where is the source of the problem.

ADSB_MBX

Postby ADSB_MBX » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:58 pm

I think i solved the problem ( for now). It looks there were an issue between ADBSscope and VRS. After restarting of ADBSscope it started to work fine as it has in the past.

rogerst707

Postby rogerst707 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:40 am

And FYI I figured out my issue also. It seems that the particular aircraft that I was tracking for years switched out their 1090-ES transponders for mode-s only. I mistakenly said that I had tracked mode-s transponders on-screen in the past but they were actually 1090-ES transponders. And as another person posted multi-receiver multilateration is why I can see mode-s transponder aircraft on-screen on flightradar24.com

My apologies for all of the confusion and 'blaming the software"! ;-)

-Roger

Return to “Bug Reports”