Incorrect Call sign.

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
kiwikieran

Incorrect Call sign.

Post by kiwikieran » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 pm

I have the latest version but this issue was also in previous versions.
I have the Remove time set to 400 seconds.
The problem is that VRS will either show the call sign from the last route flown by an Aircraft even though it hasn't been seen for over 400 seconds. And sometimes shows the same call sign for two aircraft (One being the one transmitting and the other being a MLAT aircraft with no call sign being transmitted). The DUMP1090 shows no call sign but still shows the old one on VRS. When DUMP1090 Has got the new Call Sign it will update VRS.
Last edited by kiwikieran on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

agw

Re: Incorrect Call sign.

Post by agw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:05 pm

There are two timeouts, the display timeout and the tracking timeout. If you are talking about setting the tracking timeout to 400 then the aircraft is removed from memory after 400 seconds of inactivity. Anything tracked against that aircraft record is removed at that point, including the callsign.

Each feed has its own aircraft record. One feed's aircraft record does not influence another's. If you have the same aircraft in two feeds then they are separate aircraft records and they're built up using whichever messages get processed by each feed. Timeouts are applied separately to each feed. An aircraft can timeout on one feed while still showing up on another, it'll depend on which messages make it into each feed.

It sounds to me like you're saying that you have 3 feeds: a Mode-S feed, an MLAT feed and a merged feed that brings those two together? The Mode-S feed will only show callsigns coming from the Mode-S messages, the MLAT feed will only show callsigns coming from the MLAT source and the merged feed will be an amalgam of both feeds. The aircraft can time out on the Mode-S feed but if the MLAT feed is still sending messages for it, and if the merged feed is showing the callsign that originally came from the Mode-S feed, then the merged feed will continue to show the Mode-S callsign after the Mode-S feed times out and stops tracking the aircraft.

This isn't a bug, it's just how the merging works. Once a new callsign gets sent to VRS by the MLAT feed it should start showing that one instead.

kiwikieran

Post by kiwikieran » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:15 am

Thanks,
I have attached an Image of how it works,
Is there away to avoid the incorrect call sign being shown? When looking at the RAW data coming from the feeds the call sign is correct but VRS shows the previous one and call sign for aircraft that have never transmitted a call sign.
https://www.draw.io/#G135cxac-eR4tit2RvyYDYkPFmMhhTQndt

agw

Post by agw » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm

Draw.io won't show me what you've drawn unless I authorize it for my Google Drive. Could you use imgur instead?

kiwikieran

Post by kiwikieran » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:08 am

Sure thing

kiwikieran

Post by kiwikieran » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:11 am

kiwikieran

Post by kiwikieran » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am

Update, the JSON from the data source is showing the correct sign, But VRS is not.
VRS shows that this is being tracked from the same data source.
This is also the only data source currently tracking that aircraft.

agw

Post by agw » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 am

I'm not seeing the issue here. I've had a look at the code that updates the callsign when it changes in the feed and at the bit of code that renders callsigns into the info window - can't see anything obviously wrong.

Are you using the custom content plugin? If you disable custom content then does it start working?

jvisagie

Post by jvisagie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 pm

agw wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:43 am
I'm not seeing the issue here. I've had a look at the code that updates the callsign when it changes in the feed and at the bit of code that renders callsigns into the info window - can't see anything obviously wrong.

Are you using the custom content plugin? If you disable custom content then does it start working?
Hey, have this been solved. Im a total fan of adsbexchange(dot)com (also feed the site from my VRS running on a pi). I have however noticed callsigns missing in merged (global) feed but when for example looking at my "receiver" on customglobalvrs link the callsign is shown.