Bugs in 1.2.4

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
agw

Re: Bugs in 1.2.4

Post by agw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks :) It's not too bad to maintain, I have a lot of unit tests.

You can write a plugin to use a different speech synthesis engine instead of the default one if you prefer. You'd need to write your own implementation of IAudio, which is currently one property (IsSupported) and one method (SpeechToWavBytes), and tell VRS to use that instead of its own implementation.

mattuk1980

Post by mattuk1980 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Evening

Apologies if this has been raised before. I am a new user (since 29/06/2013) and am very impressed.

I downloaded the source code and have compiled in VS2010. All is well except I am seeing occasional planes circulating around Greenland then appearing where they should be. The image below shows two aircraft apparently over Greenland (as can be seen the selected flight was from Zurich to Dublin) despite the receiver location being Caerleon, South Wales.

The knock on effect of this is if I view this flight in a report and choose the show on map option, I get a straight line from Greenland to the last know position. Setting wise, I have set the receiver limit to 300 miles with the "Show aircraft outside this range" as No.

If any further information is needed. please let me know.

Regards

Matt

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 pm

I found a bug in the handling of external IP addresses and ports with port forwarding. My ISP blocks port 80, along with a few others, but leaves 8888 open. I have configured my router to forward port 8888 traffic to my PC on port 80 running on the private network behind the router. If, for example, I go to the external address http://12.34.56.78:8888/VirtualRadar nothing happens. Telnet'ing from an outside machine to port 8888 and type "GET /VirtualRadar HTTP/1.0" gives a response of:

which obviously will not work due to be a non routeable address plus it ignores the alternate port (I have specified port 8888 in the configuration options for the Web Server). However, if I go to http://12.34.56.78:8888/VirtualRadar/GoogleMap.htm (or iPhoneMap.htm) it works fine. It would appear that the redirect should use the users request host and port in the response in order to properly redirect the client.

As I noted, it can be worked around so there is no big problem with not fixing it right away.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:19 pm

mattuk1980 wrote:I am seeing occasional planes circulating around Greenland then appearing where they should be.
Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a busy week :) Have you entered the location of the receiver in Tools | Options | Raw Feed Decoding? If not then go to that screen, click on the entry for "Receiver Location", click the "..." button that appears and enter the rough location of the receiver. There are a bunch of sanity checks that can only applied to when the receiver location is known.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Aardvark wrote:the redirect should use the users request host and port in the response in order to properly redirect the client.
Yes, you're right. I'll fix it in the next release.

mattuk1980

Post by mattuk1980 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 pm

agw wrote:
mattuk1980 wrote:I am seeing occasional planes circulating around Greenland then appearing where they should be.
Sorry for the delay in replying, it's been a busy week :) Have you entered the location of the receiver in Tools | Options | Raw Feed Decoding? If not then go to that screen, click on the entry for "Receiver Location", click the "..." button that appears and enter the rough location of the receiver. There are a bunch of sanity checks that can only applied to when the receiver location is known.
No problem, I know the feeling! I had entered a location of Latitude: 51.58 and Longitude -2.93 (taken from a GPS app on my phone) when I set this up originally

Matt.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:25 pm

It would be good if I could see the data feed and hopefully reproduce the problem here, then I'll be able to see what's going on. If you're OK with setting up a passthrough rebroadcast server in VRS and letting me know the address and port (via PM or email) then I can record the feed from here, otherwise would you be alright with me sending you an installer for a program that can record the feed, and then you just send me the resulting recording?

rew

Post by rew » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm following Henry Forte's tutorial on getting things setup with my RTL-SDR that I bought to be able to ADS-B.

I've ADSB# running and recieving 60-100 frames/sec. Good enough for testing I'd say, but might be improved by using a better (=proper) antenna and setup. We'll see. :-)

Downloaded "VirtualRadar", and whe I start it, it flashes the startup screen at me, which goes away too fast for me to read the version number. But I'm guessing 1.2.4, as I downloaded it just now.

The tutorial tells me to change a few settings to make it work. However the menus are impossible to work with: when I click on the "tools" menu, I get the menu. When I then move my mouse down to the actual menu, the menu disappears when I leave the box around "Tools". I can't reach any of the menuitems!

Related bug: When I have the main window on my right screen of the dual-monitor setup, the menu shows up on the left monitor, which makes it impossible to reach the menu without making it disappear.

As a workaround I'm willing to stuff the right things in "configuration files" even though there is supposed to be a nice gui to make that happen. Suggestions?

Update: I can reach the "options" menu I want when I run Xnest and run "openbox" as the window manager. I normally use "sawfish". The Xnest server crashses taking openbox, mono and VirtualRadar with it when I hit OK in the options menu.

Update2: OK. I can edit the options in a real X session with openbox as the window manager.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:22 am

Unfortunately when VRS is running under Mono it's at the mercy of the implementation of Mono, which in turn is at the mercy of X-Windows. There's not a great deal that I can do to work around menu glitches, that's all in Mono, but if you hit it in the future then you could try using the keyboard to navigate the menu options rather than the mouse.

rew

Post by rew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 am

Yeah, thinks like alt-T to get to the Tools menu, and then hitting "O" to go to the .... open logfile menu item.....
Tried that, but I can't find a way to get the Options item..... (the one with the underlined O indicating that the O should go there..... )