Bugs in 1.2.4

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
egpd1701

Re: Bugs in 1.2.4

Post by egpd1701 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:47 pm

I've just figured out what is causing the "Unhandled exception error"

I have a semi-automatic Basestation.sqb population tool. It saves a lot of cutting and pasting but what I don't have in the program is a check for the Operator Flag Code and because of this, it incorrectly populates that field in the database with the Registered users plus another couple of characters which is the check for the OpFlag.

The spurious character is a ">" (minus the quotes). This is what's throwing the error.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Sentry_e3 wrote:Exactly! There is just a blank instead of the logo. And no odd characters, just usual ones. The aircraft is the only one with this logo, so i'll try to use the icao code, correct?
Does the operator ICAO code in the record for the aircraft (I think it's called something like OperatorFlag?) have any spaces or tabs at the start or end? I think at the moment the code for using the content of the field is pretty simple-minded (see the posting after yours in this thread :)) but that will change for the next release. In the meantime making a copy of the logo and naming it after the aircraft's ICAO (e.g. 123456.bmp) should work.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:05 pm

egpd1701 wrote:I've just figured out what is causing the "Unhandled exception error"

I have a semi-automatic Basestation.sqb population tool. It saves a lot of cutting and pasting but what I don't have in the program is a check for the Operator Flag Code and because of this, it incorrectly populates that field in the database with the Registered users plus another couple of characters which is the check for the OpFlag.

The spurious character is a ">" (minus the quotes). This is what's throwing the error.
I think you might have been the one that originally emailed me about the problem :) I'm afraid I made a note of the bug but didn't get around to replying, sorry about that. The code should be filtering out invalid characters from the operator ICAO code before it tries to use it as a filename, it'll be fixed for the next version. Chevrons are illegal filename characters under both DOS and Linux so they would cause a problem.

Leading zeros in callsigns - they are a pain in the backside. The code in VRS will check for routes using the callsign transmitted and then, if it can't find one, it will start taking out leading zeros until it finds one or until it runs out of leading zeros to take out. However, it currently only does this if the callsign follows the pattern of <3 non-digit characters matching an airline ICAO or 2 characters matching an airline IATA> <rest of callsign is digits>. If the callsign was NPT028 then it would match NPT028 and NPT28, but if it's NPT028E then it only looks for that and not NPT28E.

Unfortunately the online route submission strips leading zeros regardless of whether the flight number has trailing non-digits. I think, on balance, that it was a mistake to have VRS only do leading zero stripping when the flight number is all-digits - it should be doing it for alpha-numeric as well. I'll have that in for the upcoming release.

The same problem afflicts the matching of callsigns in reports in the current version.

I've added NetJets Europe so you should be able to enter routes for them now.

egpd1701

Post by egpd1701 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Your a star Sir.

I have also added some more error checking to my tool so it wont populate the wrong data into the wrong location like before. I shouldn't be able to break your code now :)

I did notice something funny though. Your Aircraft Class field "Species" does not get filled in if the ICAO Type Code field is not filled in on the a/c record. I had thought that you were pulling the last word from the Aircraft Class Field to fill the Species field.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Species, engine type, engine count and wake turbulence category are all derived from the model ICAO code - http://www.icao.int/publications/DOC864 ... c8643.aspx. However it's been at least a year since I last parsed the file so it's getting a little out of date, I'll update it once the next VRS version is done and dusted.

Once I do update the codes they'll get downloaded automatically by VRS along with the routes, airline codes etc.

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:51 pm

agw wrote:
Sentry_e3 wrote:Exactly! There is just a blank instead of the logo. And no odd characters, just usual ones. The aircraft is the only one with this logo, so i'll try to use the icao code, correct?
Does the operator ICAO code in the record for the aircraft (I think it's called something like OperatorFlag?) have any spaces or tabs at the start or end? I think at the moment the code for using the content of the field is pretty simple-minded (see the posting after yours in this thread :)) but that will change for the next release. In the meantime making a copy of the logo and naming it after the aircraft's ICAO (e.g. 123456.bmp) should work.
Hummmm almost nothing works with this aircraft, even with the icao number, but i have tried other logos and .... it works! Then i have modified one of them on photoshop to add it to the aircraft, and..... it doesn't work anymore! :roll:

I'll wait for the next release of VRS now.... :lol:

agw

Post by agw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:55 am

Sentry_e3 wrote:Then i have modified one of them on photoshop
I think Photoshop can save in different flavours of BMP - when you save the BMP make sure that Windows mode is set and that it's 24-bit.

Sentry_e3

Post by Sentry_e3 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Ok i'll look after that, because now there is the same problem with some other aicrafts,logo on this one works, on this one not... So the issue is the logo itself, not the aircraft or the database? I have a bank of logos and as i said sometimes it works sometimes not. Or maybe it's because VRS is running during the modification of the database??? But as it works for some, it's probably not the reason

brotbuexe

Post by brotbuexe » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I migrated to Windows 8.1 and have an issue starting the webserver:

When starting it says the port is in use, which isn't.
When I try to take online after start this exeption is shown.

http://imgur.com/3ojilBJ

It works only when I start virtualradar as administrator (rightlick / run as administrator).

UAC is disabled. The account is in the local admingroup.

agw

Post by agw » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:24 am

Sentry_e3 wrote:Ok i'll look after that, because now there is the same problem with some other aicrafts,logo on this one works, on this one not... So the issue is the logo itself, not the aircraft or the database? I have a bank of logos and as i said sometimes it works sometimes not. Or maybe it's because VRS is running during the modification of the database??? But as it works for some, it's probably not the reason
If you had a logo that was appearing alright, and then after you edited it it stopped appearing, then my guess is that the file wasn't saved in a format that .NET can cope with. They need to have the extension .BMP and be saved in a Windows BMP format.