Received aircraft out of position

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
KEL348

Received aircraft out of position

Post by KEL348 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 am

Hi, I'm just getting into ads-b. I have downloaded the latest version of VRS and it works perfectly, except, Aircraft that I receive to the south west of the UK appear over Holland. The Longitude looks ok but the Latitude is about 300 nmi to the east. The aircraft are normally between 20-30,000 ft. Is this something I can fix. Thanks in advance.

mezoo

Re: Received aircraft out of position

Post by mezoo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Strange things can happen in Windows when the decimal seperators of the programme do not match the setting of the operating system.

I dont know how your machine is set up - but check if your Windows is configured for ',' or '.' as decimal seperator.
Also check if your latitude and longitude entries are using the same decimal seperator and number format.

I've had similar effects like yours do to this with other programmes.

Hope it helps
mezoo

agw

Post by agw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 pm

In your Data Source settings for your receiver what format do you have it set to? Is it BaseStation, SBS-3 Raw Feed, AVR/Beast Raw Feed or Compressed VRS?

KEL348

Post by KEL348 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions, My RTL Dongle is setup as Basestation in the options drop down list. I tried to change it to Beast, only when I launch the server there is no data. I think this might be because I am feeding Flightradar24 which uses TCP30003 and not 31001. As for the decimal seperator, it is set as . . The same as the Lon & Lat.
Also I have another question. How can I get the pictures of the aircraft to show in the top display window when an aircraft has been selected?

agw

Post by agw » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:48 am

If the format is BaseStation then it means that the latitude and longitude are being calculated by another program and then being fed to VRS - it's the other program thats getting the positions wrong. If you can use one of the raw formats instead then VRS will do the position decoding and, hopefully, not get it wrong :) Which receiver are you using?

The pictures will show by default, but only if you have a local folder with aircraft pictures in it. If you do then you just need to tell VRS where they are in Tools | Options | Data Sources, Pictures folder.