Bugs in 2.0.2

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
agw

Bugs in 2.0.2

Post by agw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:00 pm

There's bound to be some - feel free to let me know about them here :)

jonfear

Re: Bugs in 2.0.2

Post by jonfear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi Andrew

Me first!

Got his one, almost certainly as a result of me moving from a Dell Power Connect 2824 to a Cisco SLM2024.

More FYI I guess.

Jon
Attachments
exception-vrs-2.0.2-2014-04-07.png
exception-vrs-2.0.2-2014-04-07.png (13.71 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

trabin

Post by trabin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I install 2.0.2 and i don't have receiver range Image but I have colour menu-options map Image

agw

Post by agw » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:04 pm

The receiver menu doesn't appear if you don't have at least one receiver that has a receiver location set for it. If you take a look here:

http://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/v ... ?f=1&t=353

then that should hopefully any of what will probably be the most common questions about the receiver range plot.

trabin

Post by trabin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Thank you very much. I didn't name of my receiver location in options. Now it's everything ok ;)

jonfear

Re: Bugs in 2.0.2 - Plots

Post by jonfear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Andrew

Not sure whether this is a bug or something silly in the respective receiver.

I have two plots that are obviously incorrect given the distance. Is there a way that we can edit the data to remove this? Is there a way that we can interrogate the data to find the guilty aircraft?

If you take a look at http://www.vrs-europe.org.uk and switch on RPi-2 and Astronet, you will see the offending spikes.

Edit: and add VRS HQ to the list!

I would appear that all three sites locate to the same position. I wonder if we had some ducting...It can be proved if we know the time and the aircraft details.

Thanks

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP

agw

Post by agw » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm afraid not on pretty much all counts :) There's no way to edit the plots and only the locations of the aircraft are recorded, not the aircraft that transmitted them. You can, however, reset receiver range plots on the server by highlighting the receiver(s), right clicking and choosing the option to reset the receiver range plot.

The aircraft in question will have had to have sent a message within 30 seconds of the offending message that corresponds to a position that could reasonably be reached from the offending position (although at the moment the speed that the sanity checker will accept is quite high, I might make it more conservative in future versions). A range test is also applied - that's configurable in the raw decoding settings, by default it's 650 Km - anything further away from the receiver position than that is also ignored.

However you do get some aircraft that transmit the wrong position, I remember a Bluebird Cargo 737 a few years ago that used to transmit quite insane positions :) I'll have a think about how best to detect and handle those. Recording the ICAO of the aircraft that produces the extreme range plot isn't a problem, it's more a question of how to present it and what to do with the information once you know which aircraft is causing trouble.

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Bingo!

Bluebird Cargo!

See attached.
Attachments
VRS Position error.png
VRS Position error.png (105.84 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm getting an impression that 2.0.2 has some problem with plotting individual feeds. There are fewer aircraft plotted than before, almost as if it only plots those A/C UNIQUE in the feed, and not all the feed...? The pattern of the feeds quickly change, almost as if it only plotted the A/C if it was last seen from the chosen RX (i.e labeled with thet RX in teh merged feed). Am I making any sense here?

Also, the numbers doesn't match, my merged feed shows 200 A/C in feed stats, but only 150 in the web server list (of which 114 has position). Cant remember if this was the case in 2.0.1.

Anyone else seen this ?

/M

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Here are some other issues I have found;

1. Rebroadcast server on merged feed of Beasts does not work if set to "AVR" or "Pass-through". Does work on BS or VRS format. How is Pass-through intended to work if feeds are in different format? I would like to always get Beast / AVR Raw output , but AVR gives text format.

2. Feeds sometimes freeze, with TCP still connected. I have sen 1/5, 2/5 and all 5 feeds freeze on differentt occasions. A manual re-connect solves the problem but please add a check for incoming data. If no data in 60s, re-connect, regardless of TCP state.

3. When changing an active feed's properties (IP or port), VRS connects with the new settings, but the old feed is not closed, it's just invisible and can be seen with netstat.

4. Closed/abandoned rebroadcast server connections are not erased from list.

5. Got an exception error when using a DNS name instead of an IP adress for an RX. Is this supported?

6. Can't get polar plots to work, my xml file is under investigation....

/M