Bugs in 2.0.2

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
agw

Re: Bugs in 2.0.2

Post by agw » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Skibox wrote:Am I making any sense here?
I'm afraid not :) I think you might be asking if, when viewing a receiver's feed that is also being merged into a merged feed, there is a relationship between the aircraft plotted for the receiver and the aircraft tracked on the merged feed? If so then no, there is no relationship - separate aircraft lists are maintained for each receiver and the merged feed. The aircraft lists are what drive the web site display. The aircraft list for the receiver doesn't know anything about the merged feed aircraft list.
Skibox wrote:my merged feed shows 200 A/C in feed stats, but only 150 in the web server list
The number of aircraft shown in the feed list on the main display is the number of aircraft being tracked. Aircraft remain tracked for several minutes after their last message, long after they are removed from the display - hence the disparity.
Skibox wrote:1. Rebroadcast server on merged feed of Beasts does not work if set to "AVR" or "Pass-through".
The merged feed is a BaseStation feed, regardless of the format(s) of the constituent feeds. VRS can't convert BaseStation to AVR, but pass-through should work (although the output will be BaseStation format). I keep meaning to add an item to the bug tracker to put validation in for the rebroadcast format to stop people selecting formats that won't work and I keep forgetting - I've added it now :)
Skibox wrote:please add a check for incoming data
Under Windows the feeds have heartbeat timers on them, if there's nothing on the feed for 30 seconds then it starts sending heartbeat packets to the server and reconnects if there's no reply. Under Linux I can't set the heartbeat timers so it just drops the connection and reconnects if there's no data after x seconds. I can't remember what the timeout is offhand.
Skibox wrote:3. When changing an active feed's properties (IP or port), VRS connects with the new settings, but the old feed is not closed, it's just invisible and can be seen with netstat.
I can't reproduce this, when I change port on a feed it closes the old connection and opens a new one. Only the new feed is visible on netstat, but my netstat does take a minute or so to complete. By default netstat will show TIME_WAIT connections, are you seeing those? Or are you seeing CLOSE_WAITs? On which side of the connection are you running netstat?
Skibox wrote:4. Closed/abandoned rebroadcast server connections are not erased from list.
I can't reproduce this either. When a connection to the rebroadcast server is closed it gets removed from the GUI's list.
Skibox wrote:5. Got an exception error when using a DNS name instead of an IP adress for an RX. Is this supported?
It's supported. What was the exception?

Are you running under Windows or Mono?

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 am

Hi,

I'm running 2 different machines both XP SP3.
agw wrote:
Skibox wrote:Am I making any sense here?
I'm afraid not :) I think you might be asking if, when viewing a receiver's feed that is also being merged into a merged feed, there is a relationship between the aircraft plotted for the receiver and the aircraft tracked on the merged feed? If so then no, there is no relationship - separate aircraft lists are maintained for each receiver and the merged feed. The aircraft lists are what drive the web site display. The aircraft list for the receiver doesn't know anything about the merged feed aircraft list.
Skibox wrote:my merged feed shows 200 A/C in feed stats, but only 150 in the web server list
The number of aircraft shown in the feed list on the main display is the number of aircraft being tracked. Aircraft remain tracked for several minutes after their last message, long after they are removed from the display - hence the disparity.
OK, it may be a local problem with 2 of my RXs that coincide with the 2.0.2 upgrade. I understand the disparity. I'll check the feeds with an alternative viewer but it's probably just a coincidence.
Skibox wrote:1. Rebroadcast server on merged feed of Beasts does not work if set to "AVR" or "Pass-through".
The merged feed is a BaseStation feed, regardless of the format(s) of the constituent feeds. VRS can't convert BaseStation to AVR, but pass-through should work (although the output will be BaseStation format). I keep meaning to add an item to the bug tracker to put validation in for the rebroadcast format to stop people selecting formats that won't work and I keep forgetting - I've added it now :)
OK, now I understand better how it works. But Passthrough doesn't give any output on a merged feed of binary inputs. Maybe better to just block anything else than BS and VRS formats on a merged feed, as passthrough can't really be achieved. Is there any special reason why merging must be done after conversion to BS format? The merged feeds are big and inefficient use of bandwidth to retransit to many users in BS format, AVR raw seems to use less than half the bandwidth and carry more information
Skibox wrote:please add a check for incoming data
Under Windows the feeds have heartbeat timers on them, if there's nothing on the feed for 30 seconds then it starts sending heartbeat packets to the server and reconnects if there's no reply. Under Linux I can't set the heartbeat timers so it just drops the connection and reconnects if there's no data after x seconds. I can't remember what the timeout is offhand.
OK, but they still freeze. We had the same issue on our AIS systems many years ago, and we solved it by using your linux approach, skipped the heartbeat and just checked for incoming data, that has worked really well.
Skibox wrote:3. When changing an active feed's properties (IP or port), VRS connects with the new settings, but the old feed is not closed, it's just invisible and can be seen with netstat.
I can't reproduce this, when I change port on a feed it closes the old connection and opens a new one. Only the new feed is visible on netstat, but my netstat does take a minute or so to complete. By default netstat will show TIME_WAIT connections, are you seeing those? Or are you seeing CLOSE_WAITs? On which side of the connection are you running netstat?
I can't reproduce it now either. The connection was still ESTABLISHED, and I was looking on the same machine as VRS is running. The reason I know it well is that this feed only accepts one connection, and I couldn't access it from another machine, until I closed VRS. But if it's not reproduceable it's impossible to find, i know...
Skibox wrote:4. Closed/abandoned rebroadcast server connections are not erased from list.
I can't reproduce this either. When a connection to the rebroadcast server is closed it gets removed from the GUI's list.
Not on my machines, some of these connections are unused for >24h. Try connecting, then go into options and disable the rebroadcast feed. This closes the connection but leaves the entry on the GUI.
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.43.21.png
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.43.21.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Skibox wrote:5. Got an exception error when using a DNS name instead of an IP adress for an RX. Is this supported?
It's supported. What was the exception?
It was either "No such host is known" or "Invalid search path", I have screens of both. One of the could be from 2.0.1 though...
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.48.24.png
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.48.24.png (53.51 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.46.46.png
Screen shot 2014-04-10 at 02.46.46.png (230.29 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Thanks,

/M

matthys70

Post by matthys70 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Not sure if this is a bug .. but some Silhouette icons changed to the registration of the aircraft.

For example:
22 11:48:56 00:00 H46 44F654 Belgian Army AYB A109 Agusta A109BA Hirundo Belgium Mil Military
Shows as Silhouette the icon for H46 but should be A109 :cry:

Ps .. I don't mind if the Flag icons use the registration, but not for Silhouette

Cheers,
Matthijs

agw

Post by agw » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 am

Skibox wrote:But Passthrough doesn't give any output on a merged feed of binary inputs.
Yes, thinking about it you're right - the passthrough is listening for an event that isn't raised for merged feeds. I have an item on the bug tracker for adding validation of the rebroadcast server feed, it'll be done for the next release.

Regarding why it converts to BaseStation - internally all messages, regardless of their original format, are converted to message objects. The message objects are trivial to convert to a BaseStation feed but aren't so easy to convert to AVR or Beast - I would have to build Mode-S messages out of them. I've not written a Mode-S encoder, just a decoder.

Compressed VRS is as efficient as (or, overall, more efficient than) the AVR or Beast formats but obviously it's only VRS that can pick those feeds up :) However if you're piping the feed to another instance of VRS then it's better to use compressed VRS.
Skibox wrote:skipped the heartbeat and just checked for incoming data
I did have a command-line switch to allow Windows users to force the use of this but I appear to have taken it out before I released it. I'll add it back in for the next release.
Skibox wrote:then go into options and disable the rebroadcast feed
Ah-ha - sorry, I thought you meant a regular disconnection by the client. I'll add that to the list.

Regarding the exception screenshots - the first is caused by invalid characters in either the ICAOTypeCode or OperatorFlagCode field for an aircraft, that should be fixed in 2.0.2. The second is being thrown by .NET, I'm guessing it's saying that it can't resolve the DNS name but unfortunately my Swedish (?) is a lot worse than your English and I can't copy & paste a screenshot into Google Translate :) The code tries to resolve the DNS address a few times, with a pause between each attempt, but if it fails 6 times on the trot then the exception is allowed to bubble up to the GUI. Once I've called Dns.GetHostAddress it's in the hands of the .NET Framework.

FWIW I use domain addresses for a couple of feeds, both internal addresses and an address over the Internet, and it's been working fine.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 am

matthys70 wrote:Not sure if this is a bug .. but some Silhouette icons changed to the registration of the aircraft.
Ah yes, I see - you have a silhouette file called H46 and it's picked that up as a registration override. Yes. Perhaps reinstating that particular bit of v1 functionality wasn't such a bright idea after all :) I'll take it out for the next release - you'll still be able to override flags and silhouettes with files named after the aircraft's ICAO but not the registration.

matthys70

Post by matthys70 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:27 am

There is another bug in the reports.

The first page show the number of rows selected, but the next page start with the same row number.

For example if I select 50 rows, page 1 shows; 1 to 50 and page 2; 50 to 99 and page 3; 100 to 149.
In this case there are two times row 50, but with different content (just the numbering is wrong).
I guess the 2nd page should have 51 to 100 etc.

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am

Andrew

It is quite possible that we will need the information in the Beast style feed for MLAT. Given that we will have sharers using their VRS to feed can you give some consideration to how we achieve this.

Our mutual friend wants to discuss a compressed beast feed format and how you will handle that in VRS in the near future. I wonder if these can be combined?

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

CharlieAlpha

Post by CharlieAlpha » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:08 pm

A minor reports/filters bug (I think)

If you select "Operator" as the criteria for a report or web page filter it seems to query against the "registeredowners" basestation field. I expected it be looking at the operatorflagcode field. My basestation database (obtained from the ManTMA Overflights group) only has operator codes in it. I guess I could hack some quick sql to populate the registeredowner field (maybe using the standingdata database as a lookup), however I guess it would be better if the query ran against the operatorflagcode field or option was renamed to "Registered Owner".

Charlie

agw

Post by agw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 am

matthys70 wrote:For example if I select 50 rows, page 1 shows; 1 to 50 and page 2; 50 to 99
Oops! :) I'll add it to the list, thanks for letting me know.

agw

Post by agw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:15 am

CharlieAlpha wrote:If you select "Operator" as the criteria for a report or web page filter it seems to query against the "registeredowners" basestation field. I expected it be looking at the operatorflagcode field.
Unfortunately OperatorFlagCode doesn't have an index on it so any search on the field would have to examine every aircraft record in your BaseStation.sqb, which could take a while. However there's no reason why there shouldn't be a filter for the map page that searches on the operator ICAO, I'll add it to the list.