Browser Performance Issues when viewing LARGE feeds

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
manaesh

Browser Performance Issues when viewing LARGE feeds

Post by manaesh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 am

Hi Andrew

My setup is as follows :

One Lenovo Intel Core Duo Laptop running Mint17 (about 4 years old) and running Firefox. I also have a 6 month old lenovo i7 laptop (32gb RAM, 16 cores, bonkers performance) with Mint17 running.

When viewing my own local feed, roughly around 150 aircraft, the performance of VRS in the browser is brilliant, I can move around the map, and zoom without issue.

When i bring in another feed, adding an additional 100 aircraft, the performance of the web browser suffers slightly, even if i am not viewing more aircraft, and i am viewing the same location with the same aircraft (the additional feed is not currently in my view)

When i bring in our monster VRS world feed, and get to over 1200 aircraft tracked, the web browser zonks out, i cannot alter the view, and firefox will start munching all resources on the laptop.

This happens on both laptops, though I have not tried any other browsers yet.

If i try and recreate the view in FR24 for instance, both laptops will easily display the (roughly) same amount of aircraft fluidly and without crashing..

Is there a way we can optimize VRS for large feeds?

Thanks as always for a brilliant application!

Cheers

Mike

agw

Re: Browser Performance Issues when viewing LARGE feeds

Post by agw » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:05 am

The problem is that I'm maintaining the full state for every aircraft on the feed in the browser, as opposed to just positions and enough state for the tooltips or a single trail, which is what FR24 is showing. It would be possible to write a page that works better with very large feeds, but it will mean not showing the aircraft list, not showing text on the markers and only showing trails for the currently selected aircraft. It would have to be an alternative to the standard map page rather than a replacement for it.

There is a bug in 2.0.2 which can slow down the processing of messages for receivers that are contributing to a merged feed - this has been fixed for 2.0.3. It could be that the slowdown you're seeing when you add a feed but don't view it is down to that - I would try disabling any merged feeds that the receiver is contributing to and see if it improves performance.

manaesh

Re: Browser Performance Issues when viewing LARGE feeds

Post by manaesh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks Andrew..

It does seem to be a little better under chrome..

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers

Mike