Signal Level not displaying

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
T-EGJA1

Signal Level not displaying

Post by T-EGJA1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 am

I have two receivers (both DVB-T dongles).

Receiver #1 is plugged directly into the PC running VRS. Decoder is dump1090 for Windows, set to output Beast format. VRS does show Signal Levels from this receiver.

Receiver #2 is plugged into a RaspberryPi (on the LAN), decoded through dump1090 (Beast output). VRS is not showing Signal Levels from this receiver (although they are present on the interactive dump1090 display).

Not sure if this is a bug or a setting that I've overlooked .... any help appreciated.
Terry

manaesh

Re: Signal Level not displaying

Post by manaesh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi

How do you call dump1090 on your RPI?

Mine is called via :-

./dump1090 --ppm 24.9 --net --enable-agc --quiet --aggressive --modeac --phase-enhance

And i simply make sure that the receiver in VRS listens on port 30005 - and i get the signal level displayed.

Perhaps your receiver in VRS is set to use another port (not beast) - so you are getting the aircraft data, but not signal strength which is provided by the beast format?

Cheers

Mike

T-EGJA1

Post by T-EGJA1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Mike,

Now sorted thanks to your post - the problem was the port assignment for the Pi in VRS pointing to 30002, which is the raw output from dump1090. Changed it to 30005 and I'm now seeing the signal levels displayed in VRS :D

On another note, I see that you use the 'phase-enhance' switch - I've yet to find any comprehensive documentation on dump1090 and I'm curious as to what 'phase-enhance' is supposed to do.
My switches for dump1090 on the Pi are: ./dump1090 --interactive --interactive-ttl 20 --net --net-beast --modeac --fix --mlat

Once again, many thanks for your help,

Terry
Terry

manaesh

Post by manaesh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Terry

Glad to hear its working!

Regarding the phase-enhance switch, like you, i failed to find out what it actually does, however, I seem to remember reading somewhere on a forum that it made a bit of a difference on faint (distant) hits...

I think that i started testing, but failed to reach a conclusion, and just left it as is....

I do however regularly pick up 220 mile hits on my homemade 12 element co-lo inside the loft...

Sorry i cant be of more help!

Cheers

Mike