Exception Preventing loading even after reinstall

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
paradiselost

Exception Preventing loading even after reinstall

Post by paradiselost » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:18 am

Living in the third world we have frequent brownouts and after one a fatal exception prevents VRS from starting.

The Rebroadcast values were set and some of the merged receivers were not valid after an IP rollover.

There doesn't seem a way to wipe out this error even with a fresh install and wiping the registry of Virtual Radar Server keys and data.
This was done after uninstalling the offending program.

Why can't I reinvent the wheel on a fresh install?

John
Attachments
VRSERROR2.jpg
VRSERROR2.jpg (241.79 KiB) Viewed 2341 times

manaesh

Re: Exception Preventing loading even after reinstall

Post by manaesh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 am

Hi John

I think its an issue with your database - i also have this issue as i run VRS under a VM, and sometimes my VM platform goes a bit wonky.

Find your basestation.sql location - and there will be a lock file there.

Delete the lockfile, and VRS should start!

You will obviously loose basestation data since the last restart of VRS..

Cheers!

Mike

paradiselost

Post by paradiselost » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 am

manaesh wrote:Hi John

I think its an issue with your database - i also have this issue as i run VRS under a VM, and sometimes my VM platform goes a bit wonky.

Find your basestation.sql location - and there will be a lock file there.

Delete the lockfile, and VRS should start!

You will obviously loose basestation data since the last restart of VRS..

Cheers!

Mike
This exception is different than the one that is fixed by deleting the journal file.

I unzipped a fresh basestation.sqb file from yesterday to find the same problem on VRS attempting to start.

These exception caught routines are fatal since the programmer didn't include an option of allowing the basic program to start if the fault was caused by a configuration error. and highlighting the wrong input.

The verbose wording of the error might mean something to the original programmer but doesn't give a clue to the basic or advanced user.

In the best case senario VRS is excellent until something breaks.

Mike thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't hit a Home Run.

I'm belly up here until Andy gives me a pointer to look at.

John

John
Working Example of Version 2 Beta Virtual Radar Server http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net/virtualradar/
VRS 2 Help Files http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net:8080

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi John

WRT re-install, did you remove the VirtualRadar directory in the \user\appdata\local\ directory as well?

This should remove all the configuration settings from previous install and allow a fresh start.

HTH

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

paradiselost

Post by paradiselost » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 pm

jonfear wrote:Hi John

WRT re-install, did you remove the VirtualRadar directory in the \user\appdata\local\ directory as well?

This should remove all the configuration settings from previous install and allow a fresh start.

HTH

Jon
Did install in new directory, same error. Uninstalled previous install and cleaned registry of VRS references.

Andrew will have to give his input on a solution.

John
Working Example of Version 2 Beta Virtual Radar Server http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net/virtualradar/
VRS 2 Help Files http://dgteflyovers.ddns.net:8080

agw

Post by agw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:54 pm

VRS doesn't use the registry, any entries in there are either from the installer or from Windows. It keeps all of the configuration in the configuration folder - under Windows it's %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualRadar and under Linux it's something like ~/.local/home/shared/VirtualRadar (from memory).

The uninstaller does not delete the configuration because some users like to uninstall VRS before they install a new version (although they don't actually have to). It would be a pain if they had to reconfigure the program every time they upgraded.

The rebroadcast server settings are in Configuration.xml in the configuration folder, if you remove that file then it will start up with a default set of configuration options that will not include a rebroadcast server. I think that the exception message is saying is that you already have something somewhere that is listening to the same port that the rebroadcast server is trying to listen to. The configuration file is just an XML file, if you're comfortable with editing those then another option would be to go through the section of that file where the rebroadcast servers are configured and change the offending port number to something that isn't already in use.

The problem of not being able to start the program if a rebroadcast server fails to start up has been fixed in 2.0.3, so hopefully people won't get caught by this one for too much longer.