Bugs in 2.1.0

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
agw

Re: Bugs in 2.1.0

Post by agw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:43 pm

gariac wrote:Is the 5699478f directory hidden? I don't see it from Dolphin or just doing a ls in a terminal.
I'm afraid I have no idea - I'm not the one that's creating that directory, mono is. I would have hoped that it would exist for as long as VRS is running.
gariac wrote:Does this new version of VRS have the same restriction that you can't run it on a PC running basestation?
VRS has never had the restriction that it can't be run on a PC that's running BaseStation. I've been running it on a PC with BaseStation since I wrote it. You might be thinking of the database writer plugin. That shouldn't be installed if BaseStation is writing to the same database, otherwise you end up doubling up all of the records. However you can run that on a PC with BaseStation as well if you like, I do that. I just give it its own database. I do that so that I can record the flights for a merged feed.

agw

Post by agw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:53 pm

jfm wrote:
You can try uninstalling 3.2.1 and installing 2.10.9 instead and seeing if that helps.
No luck with this. Here is the -v output, if that helps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83734255/vrs.txt
Okey dokey - I've had another go this evening with getting VRS to play nicely with Mono under OSX. I was using 2.10.9, the latest Quartz and Yosemite. After adding workarounds for a bug in the OSX Mono's version of one function, and a complete lack of implementation of another function, I do now have it running. You can download an early version of it from here:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/fil ... dar.tar.gz

That version can also be run headless, but it's early days for that. If you want to play with the headless stuff then use the command-line switch -nogui. It's not actually headless, it writes to the console. Be warned that it's writing exceptions to the console and you get about a billion of them when something connects to the web server. I will look into that, I was just losing the will to live a little :) They seem to be benign.

The workarounds that I had to put in mean that you won't see a network address (although you should be able to connect to it across the network) and it will not be able to automatically detect when a network connection is no longer in the ESTABLISHED state. I suspect that a later version of Mono might fix both problems, but I've not yet tried a version 3 mono with it yet.

avioradar

Post by avioradar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:05 pm

agw wrote:
avioradar wrote:PROBLEM: new ver. of VRS stops receiving messages from FR24 boxes (connected)
Have to restart feed manually
I added better logging of the connections in 2.1.0 - if you notice that the feed dies then if you go into Tools | Option Connection Activity Log it should show you what happened on the receiver. It should also give you some clue as to why it closed the connection.

If you're saying that the feed remained connected but nothing was being received then you can now configure receivers to automatically reconnect if nothing is received for so-many seconds. It's in Tools | Options | Receivers, select the receiver, remove the tick against "Send keep-alive packets" and fill in the number of seconds of idle time that you want it to reconnect after.
Nope...didn't help.
With old version of VRS there is no such problem.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:23 am

Are you saying that the receiver remains connected but no messages come in, or that it disconnects and won't reconnect afterwards?

avioradar

Post by avioradar » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:14 am

connected but messages count holds still

jfm

Post by jfm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:32 pm

agw wrote:Okey dokey - I've had another go this evening with getting VRS to play nicely with Mono under OSX. I was using 2.10.9, the latest Quartz and Yosemite. After adding workarounds for a bug in the OSX Mono's version of one function, and a complete lack of implementation of another function, I do now have it running. You can download an early version of it from here:

Thanks! I'll give it a try soon and let you know the result.

agw

Post by agw » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:28 am

avioradar wrote:connected but messages count holds still
Can you attach a screenshot of the settings that you have entered for the receiver?

avioradar

Post by avioradar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:49 am

today i will install it again and post screenshots. Now i'm back on previous version

jfm

Post by jfm » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:09 pm

jfm wrote:
agw wrote:Okey dokey - I've had another go this evening with getting VRS to play nicely with Mono under OSX. I was using 2.10.9, the latest Quartz and Yosemite. After adding workarounds for a bug in the OSX Mono's version of one function, and a complete lack of implementation of another function, I do now have it running. You can download an early version of it from here:

Thanks! I'll give it a try soon and let you know the result.
I tried it and it worked, but I got a WinForms exception on the DB Writer plugin.

The GUI seemed to be doing a full refresh every second or so (the whole screen sort of flashed). This may be due to the workaround?

agw

Post by agw » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 am

The list views get updated once a second. On Windows I have code to stop it from flashing, but that's never going to work under Mono. There is a flag to ask controls to triple buffer themselves which would stop the flashing, and which I thought I was setting for the list views - I'll make sure that I am, I might have taken it out when I was messing about with list views in 2.1.0. However I think ultimately the best approach for Linux and OSX is to give the alternative of using a web interface instead of WinForms. It would have been nice to be able to only have one lump of GUI code, particularly for the options, but it's just causing too many headaches.