Bugs in 1.1.2

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
Locked
agw
Posts: 2249
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by agw » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 am

None that I know of :)

jmhayes
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by jmhayes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I find that more often than not, if there's been an unexpected reboot, VRS doesn't try hard enough to connect to the data feed. I have it in my Startup folder, and it does indeed start up at boot time, but it sits there with "Cannot connect" until I log in and click "Reconnect" ... once I do that, if the feed goes down and comes back, it successfully reconnects ... but not the first time, it seems. I suppose that sometimes "it works" because the feed comes up faster than VRS, but if it's the other way around, I lose.

agw
Posts: 2249
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by agw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

It's not really a bug, the program intentionally only reconnects to feeds that it knows were once sending data. If it can't connect at startup then it gives up. However you're not the first to complain about this :) I've added an option to the next version to change its behaviour - if you set the option then it will just keep retrying the connection at startup rather than giving up.

jmhayes
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by jmhayes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:17 pm

agw wrote:I've added an option to the next version to change its behaviour - if you set the option then it will just keep retrying the connection at startup rather than giving up.
Sounds great, thanks!

GaryG
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by GaryG » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 am

New User so maybe it's me.

Location Vancouver, BC Canada (2 nm NE of CYVR tower)

No matter what I try, all WestJet planes indicate Route "Unknown". Other airline routes appear ok including one that I added four fights to in a new LocalFlightNumbers.csv file.

BaseStationReporter shows I have 98 WestJet planes in my database file, all show WJA as the ICAO operator.

AirlineCodes.csv shows "WS" as the code for IACO "WJA".

FlightNumbers.csv list many entries for "WS" and those I've checked appear to be correct.

I see no apparent duplicates for the WJA and WS keys yet the server isn't finding any Westjet routes. Just in case, I network accessed the SBS-3 instead of using BaseStation access but still no WestJet routes being detected.

An example of a failing one:
Flag:Correct ("WJA: WestJet" if I hover over it)
Reg: C-GWSQ
ICAO: C080A5
Callsign: 1790 ("Route not know" if I hover over it)

AirlineCodes.csv has entry: WS,WJA,"WestJet"
FlightNumbers.csv has what appears to be a correct entry for this flight: WS,1790,CYVR-KLAS

The listed data pieces make me think I should be seeing route info but... After any attempted change for a test, I have been restarting the server.

Any ideas I can try to assist analysis. I did try moving the "WS" entries to the LocalFlightNumbers file but that didn't work either.

GaryG

agw
Posts: 2249
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by agw » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 am

It's not really a bug - the problem is that WestJet just transmit their flight number in the callsign instead of the operator code and flight number. The route lookup only uses the callsign, if there's no operator in there then it won't get very far.

However it wouldn't be a big deal to recognise that the callsign is missing the operator code and to try a match against the database's operator code and callsign. I'll put that into the next release.

jmhayes
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by jmhayes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:17 pm

I get this in my log sometimes:

[2013-01-23 13:23:35.080 UTC] [t14] Exception caught during fetch of external IP address: System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'webservice.virtualradarserver.co.uk'
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VirtualRadar.Library.webservice.virtualradarserver.co.uk.ClientSupport.ExternalIpAddress()
at VirtualRadar.Library.ExternalIPAddressService.DefaultProvider.ExternalIpAddress()
at VirtualRadar.Library.ExternalIPAddressService.GetExternalIPAddress()
at VirtualRadar.WebServer.AutoConfigWebServer.Heartbeat_SlowTick(Object sender, EventArgs args)

I presume this is during a DNS outage. You probably should handle this case directly rather than letting it go into the log file.

agw
Posts: 2249
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 am

Re: Bugs in 1.1.2

Post by agw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:30 am

I think that's when the server got rebooted this afternoon :)

The log file is really more for my use so that I can see what exceptions were raised when people report problems. It's important that exceptions are logged there.

Locked