PictureURL on Basestation Database

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
onurguven

PictureURL on Basestation Database

Post by onurguven » Sat May 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello,

I'm having trouble with displaying images from PictureURL column on Basestation.sqb

Any idea?

Thanks.

CharlieAlpha

Re: PictureURL on Basestation Database

Post by CharlieAlpha » Sat May 30, 2015 8:48 pm

I don't think VRS uses the basestation picture url fields at all.

If you are trying to show the pictures on reports, VRS looks in the directory (and sub-directories) specified in the options settings [Select tools > options > data sources on the server console and you can set the Pictures folder, if you haven't already] You will need to have downloaded and saved pictures to have them displayed. If I recall photos need to be named <reg>.jpg or <modes hex>.jpg e.g. G-VBUG.jpg or 401E2D.jpg

For the live list I think it will check the picture folder(s) first and use that picture if it can. If no picture found then www.airport-data.com (and www.airliners.net and www.airframes.org) is used to source pictures.

Charlie

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 pm

CharlieAlpha's correct on all points except that it's only http://www.airport-data.com that gets used for pictures in the detail panel when you don't have a local picture. The panel shows links to the other two sites but it can't fetch thumbnails from them.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Does airport-data.com have some kind of API request limit? I notice that if I view lots of thumbnails, they'll stop populating.... Then, a few minutes later, they'll start again. Happens quite often.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:21 pm

I've not noticed that happening with me but looking at their documentation they do have a result code for Too Many Requests, so it's possible that they do have some kind of rate limit on the thumbnail API.

VRS only requests thumbnails when the site asks for them, which would be when an aircraft is selected in the aircraft detail panel. If you have a lot of people using your site then I can imagine that you might be making a lot of requests for thumbnails to airport-data.com.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 am

agw - do you have a contact person's email at airport-data.com? I cannot seem to successfully register for their forum, and even so, someone else posted with the same question there a LONG time ago and it was never answered.

Thanks,
Dan

agw

Post by agw » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:15 pm

I do, but I don't want to give it out. What was the problem with registering on their forum? I can email them and ask them to look into it if you like, PM me with the username that you were trying to register under.

If you're looking to find out if they have a rate limit then I think the answer is going to be yes, they probably do. From the looks of it the site is serving thumbnails through Amazon's CDN, somebody is having to pay for them to be served up. It seems reasonable to impose a rate limit to try to keep the costs under control.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:11 pm

OK, they must have fixed whatever the problem was (I was not getting the verification email - and no, it was not in my spam folder). Anyhow, I have an account created now, thanks. I'd be willing to work something out with them perhaps to remove the rate limit, or serve the pics myself....

It's interesting that this "hobby" seems to be so "cloak and dagger" secretive.... ;)

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:58 pm

I don't think I was getting the 429 error after all, now that I see what their rate limit is. It would be on a per computer basis, not based on a single webserver.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:43 pm

Andrew has already tried to assist with this, but if anyone has a contact at airport-data.com, I'd like to talk to them. Willing to pay $$$ for rate limit update.

Thanks,
Dan