MLAT and Signal Strength not passed?

Is Virtual Radar Server not behaving itself? If so then please report it here.
dsfh2992

MLAT and Signal Strength not passed?

Post by dsfh2992 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:44 pm

I am running two VRS servers, one shows MLAT and signal strength data. It feeds the other via a Compressed VRS feed. The second server shows MLAT: no for all targets and does not have signal strength.

Is this by design? Is there a format that would pass all this data? (I tried JSON, no luck there either).

Thanks,
Dan

agw

Re: MLAT and Signal Strength not passed?

Post by agw » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Both signal strength and the MLAT flag are carried by the JSON format, however CompressedVRS doesn't carry either of them. If JSON definitely isn't working then you can use the passthrough format, which just copies all of the bytes from the incoming feed untouched. However, if JSON isn't working then it would be good, if at all possible, if I could take a look at the feed and see what's going on there please? I can set up a push receiver for you to connect the JSON format feed to. I have unit tests that show that both values are sent and decoded along with all of the others, but as I don't have a feed with MLAT or signal strength I've never been able to test it against a live receiver. But if it's going to be a pain to send the feed then no worries.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:47 am

Let me try JSON again if it's supposed to be passed in that format. Maybe I didn't look carefully enough.

Is there a downside to JSON vs Compressed VRS other than (I assume) higher bandwidth? It appears JSON is only updated every X seconds, whereas maybe compressed VRS is updated in real time?

--Dan

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:42 am

Ok, here's what I found. The configuration is as follows:

VRS and Beast Feeds ------> VRS Machine A -----> JSON or VRS Compressed Feed ------> VRS Machine B

The VRS Consolidator machine is receiving other feeds as well.

When I make the feed Type "Compressed VRS", MLAT Status is not passed, and signal strength is not passed.

When I make the feed Type "JSON", Signal Strength is passed, but MLAT status is not passed. I can see planes on "VRS Machine A" being fed from VRS feeds, or Beast feeds that have MLAT status "yes" on Machine A, but on Machine B, they show as MLAT Status "No". Also, when I was feeding via JSON, some targets occasionally disappeared for a second or two on "Machine B", and the came back minus their previous trail history. They were solid, with longer trail history on Machine A. I don't believe this happens when the feed format is VRS Compressed. I cannot due the "pass-through" format because it tells me this cannot be done with that receiver type.

Machine B is also receiving several hundred aircraft from a separate feed as well, in case that has anything to do with it.

I can send you whatever feed you want, in whatever format you want. I am running VRS 2.2.0.90 (perhaps a bit bleeding edge....). Just let me know what you need.

Also, it would be really cool if there was a way to pass the name of the original feed (on Machine A) all the way through to Machine B, but hey, I'll take what I can get..... ;)

Thanks,
Dan

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Just noticed that also, in the scenario above, occasionally an aircraft with the correct heading on Machine A does not make it through with the correct heading on Machine B (using Compressed VRS feed). This only occurs occasionally, however.

--Dan

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:21 pm

dsfh2992 wrote:Just noticed that also, in the scenario above, occasionally an aircraft with the correct heading on Machine A does not make it through with the correct heading on Machine B (using Compressed VRS feed). This only occurs occasionally, however.

--Dan
Scratch that, solved that problem...

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:11 am

dsfh2992 wrote:Ok, here's what I found. The configuration is as follows:

VRS and Beast Feeds ------> VRS Machine A -----> JSON or VRS Compressed Feed ------> VRS Machine B

I cannot due the "pass-through" format because it tells me this cannot be done with that receiver type.
You can merge all feeds of the same source type into one "Pass-through" feed, and you can forward several merged feeds to VRS B.

So setup one merged feed of the Beast feeds as pass-through, then setup another one for all BS feeds, one for all VRSC feeds etc, then you should get all the original data to VRS B.

/M

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:19 pm

I can't even do "pass-through" with two merged Beast feeds.

agw

Post by agw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Merged feeds don't support pass-through.

Skibox

Post by Skibox » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:12 pm

dsfh2992 wrote:I can't even do "pass-through" with two merged Beast feeds.
Sorry, my mistake. It was probably wishful thinking from my side, I actually know it doesn't work, I had to setup separate beast rebreoadcast feeds for every input.

/M