Extended timeout for Inmarsat data (JAERO)

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
dave107

Extended timeout for Inmarsat data (JAERO)

Post by dave107 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:39 pm

I have been playing with JAERO (http://jontio.zapto.org/hda1/jaero.html) as a feed, along with dump1090 on a Pi installation. I'm running VRS & JAERO on Win7. Inmarsat position data is only sent infrequently, sometimes 30mins+. If I set "remove from display" to the maximum of 540 seconds and "remove from tracking" to 3600 secs it is not too bad. However, planes come and go from the display. Would it be possible (and not too much of a pain) to allow much greater time outs on those values, possibly up to a few hours? Even better would be to have different time outs on different connections so the normal ADSB data doesn't persist for too long.
Many thanks

agw

Re: Extended timeout for Inmarsat data (JAERO)

Post by agw » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:08 pm

The preview version has extended timeouts for JAERO:

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/Preview.aspx

Note that at the moment if you have a JAERO feed and a regular feed then the timeouts apply to both, so you can end up with planes staying on screen long after they've gone out of range of your Mode-S receiver. I'll be addressing that at some point.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Any thoughts on the timeline for this?

I'd like to integrate JAERO data on ADSBexchange.com, but the timeout issue doesn't allow for good mixing and matching of ADS-B and AERO..... :)

Depending on how long it will be, I may create a seperate Inmarsat tracking map... Thx

agw

Post by agw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:00 am

It's not a straight-forward problem, VRS is built around the idea of a single set of timeouts for all receivers. Giving each receiver its own set of timeouts isn't too bad but it gets tricky in a merged feed - the merged feed can't have a single set of timeouts for its aircraft list any more, it needs to take them from the nominated receivers for all of the aircraft in the list. The aircraft list used by the merged feed is the same aircraft list used by the receivers, so basically the aircraft list has to support per-aircraft timeouts.

It'll be done for the next release but WRT to the previews I'm intending to get the web admin plugin finished off first.

dsfh2992

Post by dsfh2992 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:18 am

Gotcha... yes, everything is more complex than it first seems.... ;)

dave107

Post by dave107 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:56 am

agw wrote: Note that at the moment if you have a JAERO feed and a regular feed then the timeouts apply to both, so you can end up with planes staying on screen long after they've gone out of range of your Mode-S receiver. I'll be addressing that at some point.
Many thanks. The local mode-S does get in a bit of a mess but it works well with JAERO with the timeouts set to a few hours.

agw

Post by agw » Mon May 02, 2016 3:53 pm

I've uploaded a new preview today that changes the timeout handling for JAERO.

There are now two sets of timeouts, one for Mode-S / ADS-B feeds and one for JAERO feeds. The JAERO timeouts are measured in minutes, not seconds. The defaults might be a bit iffy, I'm not sure of the normal period between transmissions for those.

The receiver settings have a new checkbox that you can use to indicate that the feed is coming from JAERO. All aircraft on a feed with that box ticked will use the JAERO timeouts, if it's not ticked it'll use the normal timeouts.

When a JAERO feed is merged with a Mode-S feed the program will keep track of whether messages that gets used come from a JAERO source or not. If an aircraft is seen by a JAERO feed and then later on by a Mode-S feed then both timeouts will apply. VRS keeps track of the times of the last JAERO and last Mode-S messages and applies each timeout to the appropriate "last time seen" value.

Confucian

Post by Confucian » Mon May 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Great, Thanks, Will give it a try
:D

dave107

Post by dave107 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Many thanks. I've had it running for a few hours and it seems good. I've set the standard "remove from tracking" to 14400 sec so that aircraft don't drop out in the gap between local mode-s and Inmarsat but normal "remove from display" is 300 sec. JAERO tracking & timeout set to 90 & 180mins. Some planes only seem to send their position infrequently and I'm not sure how many messages are missed as some gaps seem very long.

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon May 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks Andrew, working well on my local copy as well as 360radar.

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.