Fractional Zoom Feature Request?

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
n7uv

Fractional Zoom Feature Request?

Postby n7uv » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm

agw, thanks for a terrific program. I have three receivers feeding my server and enjoy being able to watch the feed from anywhere.

I think my request is probably a Google thing instead of a VRS thing, but I'll ask anyway. I have a reliable receiver range from my high site of about 200-300 nm depending on the direction. In my browser and in a 1280 pixel high display, when using the +/- buttons or the touchpad, I have appear to have discrete zoom steps that allow me to zoom to vertical (on the browser display) ranges of 440, 220, and 110 nm radius, so powers of 2. Is this hardcoded in Google Maps or is this something that can be modified? With range steps of powers of 2, a single zoom level step moves me from a relative area of 1 to either 4 (1 step larger) or 1/4 (one step smaller). This makes a big difference in what I see. I'd really like to get to a full screen vertical range of about 300 nm radius, but that doesn't seem supported by the Google Maps API, at least what I can tell? Am I doomed to either TMI or feeling like I'm missing out on something just off the screen? :(

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV

agw

Re: Fractional Zoom Feature Request?

Postby agw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm afraid you're doomed :) The zoom values aren't configurable as far as I'm aware.

I can see why they might do that. If you could have any old zoom level you wanted then the maps server would need to build the map's image tiles on the fly. If they have a fixed set of zoom levels then all of the map tiles can be pre-built and just served to the user as they pan around the map.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”