Dropping Google Maps

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
vrsreq

Dropping Google Maps

Post by vrsreq » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Anyone feel like tackling removing Google Maps? Switching to OSM openlayers or leaflet like dump1090 for VRS.

Google API cost for public facing site is $1000's a month if the site has even 1000 visitors a month.

Any takers?

Datamix

Re: Dropping Google Maps

Post by Datamix » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 pm

I thought if you make your site public, offer your service for free and under 25'000 loads per day you don't have to pay for the Maps API.

Source: https://developers.google.com/maps/pric ... s/#details

vrsreq

Post by vrsreq » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:26 pm

FYI: I far exceed the 'free' tier thanks to some interest in what I was aggregating and displaying. API key aws connected to commercial API account - boom it hit the fan.

VRS really needs to support other mapping anyway. Imagine what we could write for overlays if we could use Openlayers, aviation vector charts, sectionals, offline maps, custom tile servers. Blows the doors off Google Maps.

Datamix

Post by Datamix » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 pm

vrsreq wrote:Imagine what we could write for overlays if we could use Openlayers, aviation vector charts, sectionals, offline maps, custom tile servers.
That's true. A different map provider as a option would be neat.

Maybe this thread will help you in the meantime: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1049

agw

Post by agw » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. This question has come up before but I wasn't too fussed about it at the time... now that they're insisting on API keys it is getting a bit painful to only have Google Maps.

The main issue is that the API that you use to display the map and draw all over it needs to offer roughly the same kind of features as Google's API. I was looking at this last weekend and it turns out you can use the Google Maps API with an OpenStreetMap tile server (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Maps_Example). It only took five or ten minutes to incorporate into VRS... however, when I tried it on a public site without an API key Google still showed the "you need a key" message and didn't show the map. Worked fine with VRS on a private LAN though, and if the charges are based on tile fetches rather than page fetches then it might still be viable.

So yes, given that I would like to be back in a position where you can put VRS onto the Internet without having to sign up for any API keys I will be looking at adding OSM support for the next release.