Stop the spikes

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
scanman

Stop the spikes

Post by scanman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi

I have about 10 spikes in different directions on my map, one is half way to Iceland from Europe... I have read all the topics about spikes but there seems to be no solution to stop them.

In SBSPlotter it is possible to set a maximum range, so I always set it to 240 nm, and never get any spikes in that software. Is it possible to do something similar in VRS for future versions?

brotherphil

Re: Stop the spikes

Post by brotherphil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 pm

I've got a few of these too - I understand from other fora that they are probably garbled reads - one or two garbled messages put a plane in the wrong place, and then it jumps to its proper line when the clearer ones come in.

Perhaps someone who knows more about the detail of the settings can answer this - would I be right in thinking that reducing the receiver range in the "Raw Feed Decoding" section might reduce these?

If so, once you've let things run for a while and established your receiver's range, you could trim the setting down to a little over that, and reset your range plot to build it up again without the spikes.

scanman

Post by scanman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 am

Now I have tried your idea for a few weeks and it is working great, the spikes are gone. Thank you brotherphil!

evangelyul

Post by evangelyul » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am

hi

I am using Rpi 3 feeding VRS.
FWIW many times I saw a 'spike' - in excess of 'heywhatsthat' polar plot - I cross-checked data with FR24 / RB24 (not my feed) and found it to be in agreement. Not always though. Recently more errors than agreement. Other than 'line of site', there are, I believe, situations where current weather or ground reflections, allow the reception of 'spikes'. So I trust the equipment and the software. ;)

brgds/evangel