Distance/bearing from selected aircraft, also ability to see altitude even when indicating GND

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
kyle0440

Distance/bearing from selected aircraft, also ability to see altitude even when indicating GND

Post by kyle0440 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:14 am

If you are on a FlightAware tracking page for an individual aircraft, and move your mouse around the aircraft, you'll notice that in the bottom left it displays distance and bearing from the aircraft to the mouse pointer. I think this would be a great feature to implement in VRS for the currently selected aircraft.

Also, sometimes receivers erroneously indicate GND for some aircraft which are not on the ground. It would be nice if you could still see the altitude somewhere in addition to the GND, instead of just hiding it. Maybe not on the map or list or anything, but on the aircraft detail panel?

agw

Re: Distance/bearing from selected aircraft, also ability to see altitude even when indicating GND

Post by agw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 pm

VRS already shows the bearing and distance from the browser location (or the map centre if no location has been set up) to the selected aircraft.

The altitude thing would be easy to do but it's going to be tricky to describe a new "Altitude" item in such a way as to distinguish it from the existing "Altitude" in the list of fields. I could have a flag that turns off the GND display altogether, that would be easier to describe.

kyle0440

Re: Distance/bearing from selected aircraft, also ability to see altitude even when indicating GND

Post by kyle0440 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 am

agw wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 pm
VRS already shows the bearing and distance from the browser location (or the map centre if no location has been set up) to the selected aircraft.
It shows from the browser location/center, but what I was describing is from an aircraft to the mouse pointer location (Example: How far is N123 from the VOR? Select N123, hover mouse over VOR). If you haven't tried it on FlightAware I suggest you do, it's quite intuitive.
agw wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 pm
The altitude thing would be easy to do but it's going to be tricky to describe a new "Altitude" item in such a way as to distinguish it from the existing "Altitude" in the list of fields. I could have a flag that turns off the GND display altogether, that would be easier to describe.
Maybe with the altitude, something like "GND (250 ft)" in an existing field would probably work. Or maybe the GND indication could just be suppressed when aircraft speed is over 50 kts or something?