A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
kusuriurikun

A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

Post by kusuriurikun » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:15 pm

There are actually two (somewhat related) features I'd like to see in VRS at some point:

a) I'd like it if there was a way (through DB editor plugin, what have you) to inherently flag all craft from a particular ICAO code as "Interesting". (For example, flag all flights indicating an ICAO callsign belonging to a specific air medical carrier, for instance.)

b) Is there a method planned for dealing with "temporary use by craft" ICAO codes that we may want to flag as interesting while a craft is using that callsign (for example, flagging by callsign rather than ICAO code strictly)?

To give backgrounder--there are no less than four "temp use" ICAO codes used for various non-air-ambulance medical transportation services that rely on volunteer use of general aviation aircraft to transport people and their families to hospitals and medical centers for treatment (CMF belonging to Air Care Alliance and used for "Compassion Flights", NGF and GRC used by Air Charity Network for "Angel Flights", and HRF for Veterans Airlift Command's "Hero Flights"). There is also a temp-use ICAO code (DCM) used by users of Garmin's FltPlan service (using the associated voice radio call "DOT COM"). It really makes no sense to flag these in the database properly (as these are temporary use!) but I'd still like way to flag (with an appropriate BMP, and possibly as "interesting") if (say) some GA craft that's doing an Angel Flight or Hero Flight and squawking the appropriate callsign).

(We have some additional weirdness in that regard outside of ICAO temp code-signs, like MEDEVAC flights getting a vocal "Lifeguard" radio callsign, but this doesn't really show up on ADS-B tracking!)

agw

Re: A few suggestions re callsign flagging.

Post by agw » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 pm

The first is doable now if you know (or don't mind learning) a bit of SQL - you could use a SQLite editor to set the IsInteresting flag for all aircraft matching whatever operator you're interested in.

The second isn't doable and doesn't fit in with the existing scheme whereby the "is interesting" flag is stored in BaseStation.sqb against the aircraft. I think a more abstract rules-based system would cover what you're thinking of and would be more flexible than what's there now. I've added a Trello card for it but I think this sounds more like a version 3 thing so it's going to be some way off.

kusuriurikun

Post by kusuriurikun » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:48 pm

I've done the first in SQL, was thinking it'd be just a nice future feature to have the option without busting out SQLite 3 :D (And certainly understood if this isn't a priority.)

As for the second, honestly I would say that's more a wishlist for v4 rather than even v3 (I've played some with the beta), was just hoping to get it on the list sometime for some future version. :D Again, understood if it's not a priority, and it's probably a use-case that mostly comes up for North American users, and yes, I do understand that the option isn't there for basestation.sqb to do this (hence why honestly a future version would need to handle this differently, maybe a sub-database for those weird little temp call signs). (And apparently not only are no less than five human medical transport companies using these, but there's a special "temp" callsign and ICAO code assigned now for animal rescue transport...again, though, this is probably a lot more common in the States and possibly Canada than elsewhere.)

chrismoccio

Post by chrismoccio » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:18 am

I read your suggestion & like the fact I can manually flag an aircraft as Interesting. I've looked at the databases under User/Appdata & opened in SQL, but can't find the IsInteresting field so can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help.

agw

Post by agw » Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm

The "Is Interesting" flag is a field in BaseStation.sqb, it's the Interested field on the Aircraft table. You need to either be running BaseStation or (more likely) have the database writer plugin installed. The writer plugin will automatically log all flights seen for a feed.

If you install the database writer plugin then you can also install the database editor plugin. The editor plugin adds a link to the selected aircraft's details, that link lets you edit the details. One of the details that you can edit is the Interested flag.