Running Total?

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
MK2wx

Running Total?

Post by MK2wx » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:29 pm

For a few years a friend and myself have had some software running to monitor the number of flights tracked in a day. I helped analyze & plot the software and he (being younger and more agile) coded it in python.

It has to be said it's not for the faint hearted coder. However as the years have shown there are some problems in obtaining the numbers, and we have had more than our share of corrupted databases, and lost installations and permissions hassles.

Having seen the problems and the solutions roll by I am now ready for something "built in" which probably won't see any problems of that sort.

I think the bare minimum I'd see as potentially useful would be the number of flights tracked so far since midnight, and that number posted as a text file into the root of the web server. Then one could use a browser (or other means) to open that file and see the content. Let's say it was to be called running_total.txt, then you could see it by using "website/running_total.txt"

Yes there are problems with dupes and multiple broken trackings of one flight, but frankly it's better to have a rough idea than none at all.

We logged it all to our own SQL database and checked for dupes and fractures, however it's a risky business and something better would of course be far more desirable. We even had some cool traffic graphs being plotted. I think it went as far as one could go from outside of the main VRS program.

Over time I'd like to b able to note numbers and compare given dates for increase or decrease in traffic, and even one whole year overlaid on another to see what trends might be discernible.

Anyway, there it is, my small addition to doubtless an already huge wish list! ;o)
Cheers,
Ian

MK2wx

Re: Running Total?

Post by MK2wx » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Well, by way of an update, I have just had the newest raspberry PI it's been running on fail.

Since this is the third PI to fail then I think it's time to call it a day with ADSB.

It seems they just can't handle doing it long term. All 3 have failed for one reason or another and it seems Raspberry Pi hardware or it's OS related in each case. Started with SD cards, and then moved to USB Thumb Drive and lately SSD connected types. All have failed and they stop being able to boot or reboot. Some have had the OS moved to the USB and this latest simply had one available but booted from a new SD card, it wrote data to the SSD but did not run from the SSD. I have tried every storage combo I know of. Other SBCs have drive sockets on board these days, but for some reason the PI has not evolved in that respect. It does leave me wondering why that might be. <shrug>

I've been doing ADSB since that malaysian airliner got lost, so about March 2014 I think that would be. <shrug> It's how I learned about ADSB in the first place.

It has been really interesting and rewarding as I learned a lot of technical stuff I would otherwise never have known. It's been fairly costly with upgrades and antenna mountings etc. Over all the lack of reliability for assorted hardware and some software has become unappealing.

Good luck one and all. Thanks for being there when I needed inspiration.
Cheers,
Ian