Alternate SBS1e /eR Feed

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
jonfear

Alternate SBS1e /eR Feed

Post by jonfear » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi Andrew

Still running fine, will try to get some more routes done soon, I notice a few duff ones.... I should have more time over the next few weeks, not onsite for at least 3 weeks...!

Is it possible to impliment this? It is copied from the Planeplotter help site:

(c) Ian Hind notes: another variation with the SBS-1e is to select in Options/Mode S receiver/Kinetic SBS family/SBS3 direct IP address, and then for the TCP/IP address add port 30006, eg 192.168.0.114:30006. In I/O for Mode-S/ADS-B select "SBS-1/3 direct TCP". Advantage is extra data is provided, usefully the assigned altitude as well as the current altitude. The default access port for SBS-1 is 30003 (same as RadarBox) but that is a simple basic connection - the lowest common denominator. Port 30006 access for Plane Plotter was introduced around the time of the SBS-3 - it is the direct binary output of the SBS-3. Then it was published that the SBS-1e/SBS-1er could also provide extra data for Plane Plotter. It doesn't affect MLAT ability, just increases Plane Plotter functionality, so it's really an improved TCP connection method.

I have just moved to a new VMWare VM running Win 7 pro 64 bit and VRS seems to frequently stall, almost as if the DB is being locked by something else. I have swapped PP onto this and the situation has improved but still happens.

Looks like we are heading for a new release, looking forward to that...If you still need feeds let me know...

All the best

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

agw

Re: Alternate SBS1e /eR Feed

Post by agw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:23 am

It's already implemented, it's the SBS-3 format. I called it SBS-3 because it's what the SBS-3 sends out, but it's also the format that's on port 30006 from BaseStation.

If the database is locked then the GUI won't stall, there is no database access (that I can remember) on the GUI thread. It's not W7-64 that's causing the problem, I use that all the time. When you say that it stalls what are the symptoms? Does the GUI lock up but the rest of Windows carries on running without any problem? Or does the whole VM lock? Is anything else on the VM having a problem? When it stalls is the task manager showing any activity from VRS, is the CPU ramping up to 100%?

I've finished the feed merging code and just working on finishing off the rest of the website rewrite, but there's never going to be enough testing done on the multiple feed stuff so if you have a feed for me to have a play with then please feel free to send the details on :)

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

agw wrote:It's already implemented, it's the SBS-3 format. I called it SBS-3 because it's what the SBS-3 sends out, but it's also the format that's on port 30006 from BaseStation.

If the database is locked then the GUI won't stall, there is no database access (that I can remember) on the GUI thread. It's not W7-64 that's causing the problem, I use that all the time. When you say that it stalls what are the symptoms? Does the GUI lock up but the rest of Windows carries on running without any problem? Or does the whole VM lock? Is anything else on the VM having a problem? When it stalls is the task manager showing any activity from VRS, is the CPU ramping up to 100%?

I've finished the feed merging code and just working on finishing off the rest of the website rewrite, but there's never going to be enough testing done on the multiple feed stuff so if you have a feed for me to have a play with then please feel free to send the details on :)
Fantastic news! I have now made the changes and everything appears to be in order.

For the record, what I was seeing was on the web page itself, one minute I had 70+ aircraft on the screen, then over the next few seconds that would drop to less than 10 and then ramp back up. I checked BS whilst this was happening and it was just seeing everything, PP as well. When I moved PP onto the TCP feed the situation improved, now I have VRS on the TCP feed I do not see the issue. I wonder if it was active display locking or something like that. The machine has plenty of horsepower and rarely goes over 25% utilisation, last stats are 13.08 latest, Minimum 11.11 and maximum 21.86. The host machine runs at a maximum of 68%. The ADSB VM is on it's own LAN so no issue there.

PM will be sent next....

Best wishes

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

Jester

Post by Jester » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I was seeing the same issue as Jon did, meaning a drop in aircraft on the map while in basestation it remains the same.
Playing around with 2.0 I added 2 feeds from the same source (I own a SBS-1e) one feed on 30003 and one feed on 30006 and then a merged feed to push both streams to the map, havent seen the famous drop in aircraft since then.

Things I noticed, much more messages on the 30006 feed (make sense I guess it being a raw feed) and the merged feed always has 2 more tracked aircraft then the 30003 feed.

agw

Post by agw » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 am

I've not seen the problem myself but it's hard to say whether it's going to be VRS or BaseStation that's causing it without seeing the feed from BaseStation. When this happens do you see the feed flash "Reconnecting" then "Connected" in quick succession before the plane numbers go back up on 30003? It could be that the connection broke down - from what I remember VRS won't start sending heartbeat packets for about 10 seconds after a connection goes silent, and then I think there's another 5 or 10 seconds before it stops the connection and restarts it.

The difference in aircraft count could be down to a difference between how VRS decides that a message is safe to use and how BaseStation decides. VRS doesn't always use the first message that it sees for an ICAO, it waits until it can figure out whether the message appears to be valid rather than a corruption of another message. There's more than one way to skin that cat, depending on how it's done VRS could start accepting messages for a particular ICAO slightly before or after other software, even though both programs are seeing the same messages.

Jester

Post by Jester » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm still trying to narrow down what it is, i'm running Basestation 1.2.4.184 an VRS on the same machine via an SBS-1e on the same LAN

What I notice (while waiting for another drop) is that when only connected to the 30003 feed, the aircraft updates (read, movement on the screen/map) is more static compared to using both merged feeds (30003 and 30006)

agw

Post by agw » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:18 am

If you open up the statistics for the port 30003 feed what do you get for the count of bad messages?

Jester

Post by Jester » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 am

agw wrote:If you open up the statistics for the port 30003 feed what do you get for the count of bad messages?
0 bad messages...