make Airports visible

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
jonfear

make Airports visible

Postby jonfear » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Andrew

I may have missed this somewhere but...

Can we add an option to show airports or at least airport locations on the map.

I know there are airports within the SDM file, do they have co-ordinates associated with them?

All the best, no peace for the wicked!

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

agw

Re: make Airports visible

Postby agw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am

There are 33,800 airports in the SDM database, although only those with routes will be in the SDM file. There'd have to be some way of deciding which ones are important enough to keep showing when you zoom the map out.

However, if you switch to the Contrast map style that highlights airports on the map.

jonfear

Postby jonfear » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:27 am

Hi Andrew

A very good point, which airfields to show. I wonder if we can take a lesson from "other" providers with this? FR24 only displays the major airports, those which have civil aircraft, looks like LPL, MAN, LBA etc. It does not show the small airfields which are solely GA. This makes sense otherwise we would not be able to see the aircraft for airports! It would appear that at a particular zoom level, all AP are not displayed.

I have tried the contrast map now, sorry still like my normal terrain map!

Best wishes

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

brotherphil

Postby brotherphil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

How about treating them as stationary "planes" with appropriate icons - possibly in a separate db, but one could concievably include navaids in the same file, and have tickboxes for which to show.

Return to “Feature Suggestions”