Show Flight Path Instead of Only Start/End Points in Reports

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
eastons

Show Flight Path Instead of Only Start/End Points in Reports

Post by eastons » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 am

Hi there,

Is it possible to have a flight's path shown instead of just the start and end points when viewing a flight in a report? Simply having the start and end points can mean that interesting paths that a flight takes are missed out on. Thanks =).

CharlieAlpha

Re: Show Flight Path Instead of Only Start/End Points in Rep

Post by CharlieAlpha » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm

I am sure it is technically possible but probably not a good idea in practice.

You would have to store the position information of every aircraft continuously or at least every few minutes. I am such the processing and storage overhead on the database would be massive especially for people tracking hundreds of aircraft at a time.

If you only had a few aircraft visible and they were flying relative straight route sectors, you *might* be able to do some clever processing to detect and store the course change points but here in SE UK with dozens of aircraft in holding patterns and flying [often 's-shaped'] approaches into LHR, LGW and LCY I think it would be a nightmare to try and record the flight paths for reporting later.

Charlie

jonfear

Post by jonfear » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:47 pm

CharlieAlpha

Agreed. The database would have to be very lightweight as the amount of data gathered would be massive.

I was looking at the SQB for VRS World recently, it is well over 1.7GB and getting bigger. I would love to move to something more lightweight but...

Jon
http://www.360radar.co.uk, the new name for MLAT Radar in the UK and Western Europe.

Former PP feeder Bm. No longer feeding. I do not have time to sort out imaginary problems with NTP
when it has been working fine for 2+ Years.

IntensiVuS

Post by IntensiVuS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 am

The idea is interesting.

It will indeed produce a massive amount of data. Enabling it on a system with a LOT of planes might give issues to speed and DB size.
Maybe its an idea to put it in VRS as an option to turn on (have it off by default) and to put the positional data in a completely different DB with only the necesary data like icao, data/time, position, altitude. (and maybe one or two other fields). You could even split that with the positional data being stored every xx seconds and the rest with a larger interval.All other data you need you could get from the usual database.

Just a little taught on my end. I have no clue though on how fast and how large it would grow let alone what speed you could expect

Would love to see something like this as a feature though.

agw

Post by agw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:41 am

It is on the list - as you say, it'll involve storing the full recording of each flight rather than the start and end points. It does present a few problems :) It'll get implemented one day, it's been on the list forever. I just keep putting it off.