Auto Selection & Track

The "to-do" list for Virtual Radar Server is as long as my arm, but if you want to pile more work onto it then this is for you.
jfm

Auto Selection & Track

Post by jfm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 pm

These options exist today:

Code: Select all

When aircraft go out of range:
Deselect the aircraft
Enable auto-select
Do nothing
If "Do nothing" is selected, can the track also remain until another aircraft is manually selected?

agw

Re: Auto Selection & Track

Post by agw » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 am

The track should remain on display until the selected aircraft is no longer sent to the site in the aircraft list. Once it's no longer in the aircraft list everything about it gets removed, including the track.

You can bump up the timeout before the server removes aircraft from the display, by default its kept quite low as it was originally set for aircraft landing at Heathrow. If I remember rightly the timeout is in Tools | Options | General.

jfm

Post by jfm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:54 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

My scenario was that a Nav Canada plane was flying around testing the nearby VOR. It was creating quite an interesting track as it tested the VOR from different ranges and bearings. I wanted to take a screenshot, but when it finished (landed and no more position reports), I didn't get back to the computer in time before the track disappeared.

Would your suggestion have helped me? Would it also leave tracks up for other planes, too?

agw

Post by agw » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:32 pm

It would have left the aircraft on the display for a little while after it stopped sending position reports, but eventually it would still be taken off screen. Increasing the timeout would just have given you a bit more time to get the screenshot done.

There is an item on the list for a plugin that records the full track and changes in altitude, speed etc. rather than just the start and end states that are stored in BaseStation. That would solve this problem in that you'd be able to see the full track in the reports. However, that plugin is some way off being done :)